Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Question:Why IDPA/USPSA?

Question:Why IDPA/USPSA?

In looking at options for a competitive league here, I'm curious about one thing:

Why the difference between IDPA/USPSA? They're both gun gaming, so why the peculiarities regarding weapon features?

Dumb question perhaps, but I have to ask.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Why the difference between IDPA/USPSA? They're both gun gaming, so why the peculiarities regarding weapon features?
    Why football and soccer?

Why Ford and Chevy?

Why blondes and brunettes?

In looking at options for a competitive league here, I'm curious about one thing:

Get ready for an over simplified solution.

IDPA tries to pretend its training and makes the courses of fire easier and makes you wear a concealment garment and limits the guns you can use more.

Gun Divisions are

Stock service pistol
    (DA or DA SA type guns Glocks, Sigs etc) 9mm or larger mags downloaded to 10 rounds.

Enhanced service pistol
    (Custom single action guns allowed like 1911's in 9mm) caliber minimum is 9mm 10 round mags

Custom Defense pistol
    Custom 1911's rule here must be in 45 acp 8 round mags

Stock service revolver 38 special or larger speed loaders only no moon clips.

Enhanced Service revolver
    moon clips major power factor 45 acps rule here (625 smith)

IDPA stages don't allow the shooter much latitude in how they are shot. Its pretty much shoot here then move here then shoot some more.

USPSA does not limit the stage design as much and most stages are shoot them as you see them and give the shooter a lot of options on how to solve a problem. Lots more challenging stages and higher round counts.

Divisons

Produciton
    (similar to IDPA's stock service pistol) 10 rounds 9mm DA SA or safe action glocks etc.

Single stack (1911's mix of CDP and ESP in IDPA) 10 rounds minor or 8 rounds major.

Limited divisons No comps or optics 140 mm mags (21 round 40sw rule here) 2011 guns
    Limited 10 Same as above but limited to 10 round mags.

Open Division Optics and comps allowed 170 mm mags allowed (29 38 super rounds or 28 9mm major loads)

Revolver 8 shot minor or 6 shot major.

I started with IDPA and then shot both for a long time. Boycotting IDPA now because of stupid rule changes recently.

Pat

Most indoor ranges host an IDPA match on a weeknight around me. For USPSA you have to go to the outdoor ranges further out.

My opinion and experience: IDPA is boring and the experience can vary wildly from club to club. This is a function of both the match director and members. Stages are heavily choreographed. There is an abundance of rules surrounding being "tactical", yet many of the rules promote bad tactics from a SD point of view. Some of this again varries from club to club with interpretation and enforcement. "Concealment" is required. For most people this means a weighted fishing vest that they would never wear in public.

USPSA is much more open. Stages are typically much larger and offer many options for solving the problem. In some ways its more gamey, but the sport is more focused on good shooting. You will see a wide range of targets: 0-35 yards, steel poppers, plate racks, IPSC cardboard, plate racks, disappearing, swinging, and moving. Individual stages are typically 20-35 rounds. The competitors are typically a step above the average IDPA match as well.

I'm biased. I want to like IDPA so I can shoot a match on a week night and not blow an entire Saturday but i end up wanting to pull my hair out every time I go. The match director near me is a bit of a prick.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Most indoor ranges host an IDPA match on a weeknight around me. For USPSA you have to go to the outdoor ranges further out.

My opinion and experience: IDPA is boring and the experience can vary wildly from club to club. This is a function of both the match director and members. Stages are heavily choreographed. There is an abundance of rules surrounding being "tactical", yet many of the rules promote bad tactics from a SD point of view. Some of this again varries from club to club with interpretation and enforcement. "Concealment" is required. For most people this means a weighted fishing vest that they would never wear in public.

USPSA is much more open. Stages are typically much larger and offer many options for solving the problem. In some ways its more gamey, but the sport is more focused on good shooting. You will see a wide range of targets: 0-35 yards, steel poppers, plate racks, IPSC cardboard, plate racks, disappearing, swinging, and moving. Individual stages are typically 20-35 rounds. The competitors are typically a step above the average IDPA match as well.

I'm biased. I want to like IDPA so I can shoot a match on a week night and not blow an entire Saturday but i end up wanting to pull my hair out every time I go. The match director near me is a bit of a prick.
    We shoot USPSA indoors up here in the winter.
    pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post

IDPA tries to pretend its training
    USPSA makes no illusions of what it is; it is a game that requires you to shoot accurate very fast. USPSA laughs when people accuse USPSA'ers of being gamers...because, it's a game, and the term "Gamer" is redundant.

Don't overlook Speed Steel. Draw, shoot steel real fast...

Site Supporter
    Why USPSA? I dunno, I just saw that the USPSA match was that week, and the IDPA match was the next week. Didn't know the difference, didn't know how to play, and when I got there, a guy looked at me and said "Hey you're new to this aren't you?" and he showed me the ropes. Since then, I've met awesome people, dramatically improved my shooting skillset and had more fun with a gun than I have ever had previously (excluding varmint hunting of course). I just haven't been able to bring myself to shoot IDPA yet, but I'm sure it'll be just as fun.

My name is John, and I'm a gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Why football and soccer?

Why Ford and Chevy?

Why blondes and brunettes?
    Don't forget redheads.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I'm still at the point in my "career" that being on a timer induces stress, which I believe is a good thing.

Both games do that. Shooting either is fun and helps wring out equipment and improve my skills.

I believe both games need to emphasize accuracy more though.

A course laid out with Hearne's "Hard Head Ted" http://dvctargets.comtargets would be a great challenge IMHO.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I believe both games need to emphasize accuracy more though.
    Design a stage scoring any C/D or -1/-3 as a miss. Bring earpro...for the whining.

User Tag List