Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ShotMaxx Wristwatch Timer

ShotMaxx Wristwatch Timer

I picked up a Shotmaxx wristwatch timer over the holidays and have used it for my past two range sessions. My timer needs are relatively basic and my first timer - a PACT Club that I bought from a friend in 2006 - still works perfectly. However, one specific feature of the Shotmaxx caught my attention long enough to place an order - the accelerometer. The vast majority of my shooting is on an indoor range, and frequently adjacent shooters will render a timer unusable. While the Shotmaxx uses a microphone like conventional timers, it also has a setting that uses an accelerometer to detect recoil - and thus shots fired on adjacent lanes are not recorded.

I am pleased to report that this feature works as advertised. Even with a friend rapid firing his compensated AR next door, the Shotmaxx only recorded my shots.

The Shotmaxx offers additional functionality that I've yet to explore. I am looking forward to trying out the 'Spy' mode at a future KSTG match. The timer also features Bluetooth, and a compatible smartphone app is reportedly in the works. It is also the first timer I've owned that requires the occasional firmware update, and my one gripe so far is that you can't update the firmware from a Mac - you need a PC.

I think this timer bears a serious look, particularly if you frequent indoor ranges as I do. It certainly isn't going to replace my Omega or Sinn for wearing around town, but I'll be wearing it to the range for sure.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm liking mine so far. I was hoping that it would be sensitive enough in "Airsoft" mode to be usable when dry firing. Alas, it is not.

But the accelerometer mode is cool.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I really like mine for the acceleramator and the form factor. The only two things that annoy me are that the buttons are a little too easy to hit and I find if it's in a bag or something it will change the time, etc. Also some of the menu items (type 1 beep, wtf is that?) should be more clear so I don't have to memorize the book. I couldn't figure out the spy mode today from the watch...

Aside from that I think it's a fantastic timer. I used it to run a bunch of people at a USPSA match today and it worked great. I've been using it in practice for a while.

We are diminished
    I keep going back and forth on getting one but the inability to update the firmware from a Mac could be a deathblow. We don't own a single PC.

99% of my shooting is indoors. I just ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I keep going back and forth on getting one but the inability to update the firmware from a Mac could be a deathblow. We don't own a single PC.
    I don't have a Mac but can't you run a Windows emulator inside the Mac OS that will allow you to run Windows programs?

A friend has a Mac and he dual-boots his between the Mac OS and Win 7. I have done the same on my Linux machines.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don't have a Mac but can't you run a Windows emulator inside the Mac OS that will allow you to run Windows programs?

A friend has a Mac and he dual-boots his between the Mac OS and Win 7. I have done the same on my Linux machines.
    Both solutions require me to buy a copy of Windows. Just to update firmware for a shot timer? Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Can't you just go to a public library once in a while or something? Or have a shooting buddy who has a PC?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Can't you just go to a public library once in a while or something?
    They still have those?

Or have a shooting buddy who has a PC?
    Holy crap now on top of a computer I need friends? This thing sucks...

I got one for Christmas, too. I've never owned or run a shot timer, and couldn't get the Surefire app on my phone to work the one time I tried. Unfortunately, the closest indoor range is over 1.5 hours away, and current temps preclude an outdoor range being any fun at all.
    Looking forward to the learning curve.

User Tag List