Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Trigger - Aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not the technical guy, but I think there is more impacting trigger quality than just the trigger bar. I had a Vanek trigger that wouldn't function in one Gen 3 17 lower, but worked great in multiple others. Spoke to Charlie Vanek, and he started going over all the things that impact the trigger, and it was a big list. I think Taran Tactical uses a metal pin, instead of stock Glock plastic, for the rear pin as part of their trigger kit.
    It does, but the pin won't work in a Gen 4 without back straps. I'm a big fan of the TTI connectors, although I have no idea how they compare to the Vanek ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    All things considered, I think you buy a Glock despite the trigger as opposed to for the trigger. Most reliable/simplest move is probably to drop in a minus connector and shoot it, accepting the trigger for what it is, as opposed to investing time an money trying to make the Glock trigger into something it probably won't be.
    So true. Glock triggers are what they are. Some are better than others but at then end of the day it's still a trigger that, FOR ME, is harder to shoot to excellence than many other platforms. The triggers are not why I own Glocks. All of my Glocks have a factory "-" connector and regular springs. One G17 has a Vanek GSSF kit with stock springs and it's better than my others, but not by much. There is enough variation among guns and parts that swapping things around can make a substantial difference.

Ken

Site Supporter
    I bought a G34...aside from sights and a GFA, it's the same as when I got it. That's not to say I didn't play of course. I tried the ghost rocket, found it was horrible for me. Tried Lonewolf, and realized that it was also horrible. Got a Scherer connector which I actually liked, tried the .25 cent polish and destroyed it.
    Grumbling and grousing, I realized that I was only serving to make the trigger worse than what it was before, so I switched back to what I had before.
    Glock is certainly not the gun you want if you are looking for a buttery smooth trigger with a crisp light break, but it does shoot. If you have the right grip, triggers don't really matter that much for two handed shooting anyways...

It's an older thread, but I thought I'd bring some closure to it. I bought a GlockTriggers Guardian kit and I'm happy with the result.

I had to think about it awhile, though. There were a few knowledgeable folks her indicating that there wasn't much to be done with a Glock trigger, but it really was a choice between upgrading the trigger and selling the G19 - if selling/shipping pistols were easier, I'd probably have gone that route. As it was, I spoke to both Charlie Vanek and Jeff at GlockTriggers - I suspect both would have worked for me. I went with GlockTriggers because (1) he provides a 30-day return policy if unfired, and (2) he suggested a hybrid approach using the Gen3 trigger bar for my Gen4 G19.

The receiver parts alone dropped the trigger pull from 6-3/8# to 4-1/2# (measured from the middle of the trigger safety) and completely removed the trigger pull "wall" I so disliked. Installed, after take up, the pull was very consistent through break, a huge benefit for me, as I no longer trigger prep to the wall then start the pull to the break, but instead press all the way through to break.

In fact, I called Jeff after receiver installation to ask if he would expect trigger pressure to lighten with the polished slide parts, since at 4-1/2# it was already bordering on too light. He said it wouldn't - it would just be a bit smoother. He stressed all were factory parts, polished. After installation of the polished spring, spring cups, striker safety and spring, the pull went up to 4-3/4#. (That may have been a factor of a new spring, but was more likely me holding the trigger gauge in a slightly different location on the face of the trigger.) It was already pretty smooth and I didn't notice any marked improvement with the replacement slide parts installed.

I put 200 rounds through it today to test it and it worked fine - groups were measurably smaller than previously and there were no malfunctions. I did have one light strike on cheap MC ammunition that fired a second time, and the locking block pin worked its way out at around 175 rounds, probably due to the ham-handed armorer.

For me the trigger kit was worth it for a shootable pistol. The difference was night and day. For anyone who thinks this pull weight is too light, I suspect the NY Trigger springs will bring happiness right to your door.

The trigger springs should last longer and have less chance of breaking with the enhanced Gen 4 trigger bar but I never had one break on a Gen 3 or Gen 4.

Site Supporter
    There are Gen3 trigger bars with that groove in the downward leg, and a larger spring hole.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    There are Gen3 trigger bars with that groove in the downward leg, and a larger spring hole.
    Yes they are referred to as the Gen 4 and are installed in the newer Gen 3 pistols as well. People that refer to installing the Gen 3 trigger bar in a Gen 4 pistol are normally referring to the old style trigger bar.
    There would be no reason for Jeff or anyone else to refer to the trigger bar as a Gen 3 if in fact he was using the newer Gen 4 type.

This trigger bar does not have the bump on it that rides against the receiver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Yes they are referred to as the Gen 4 and are installed in the newer Gen 3 pistols as well.
    I'm talking about trigger bars without the dimple that rides on the slide and with the spring groove of a Gen4.

Just like this one, Gen3 w/ New Spring Groove:

I don't know care how other people refer to them, I was only taking issue with your statement that you had to get a "Gen4" trigger bar to get the longer spring life - and that's not necessarily true.

and have less chance of breaking with the enhanced Gen 4 trigger bar
    Last edited by JV_; 02-21-2014 at 06:22 PM.

I purchased triggers from Glocktriggers that had the old style Gen. 3 straight leg and a bump but they may have changed trigger bars.
    Maybe the Op. will describe the trigger bar he has.

User Tag List