Thread: Weak hand trigger finger faster than strong hand?

Weak hand trigger finger faster than strong hand?

I was doing some SHO/WHO drills with my SIRT today and had an interesting observation: shooting WHO I am able to pull the trigger 1.5-2x faster. I set up a par time and tested multiple times.

I can't figure out why either. I experimented with trigger finger and hand placement but my strong hand is still significantly slower.

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to speed up?

Are you cross eye dominant? If so, you could consider switching, assuming you do other things well, in terms of dexterity, with your support hand.

I think variations like this are not unusual, whether due to injury or the variability we get in different people. I am significantly stronger on a grip tester with my support hand, which is not surprising as I had a tear in my right wrist, which was surgically repaired. My wife shoots support hand significantly better than "strong" hand, despite not being cross eye dominant.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you cross eye dominant? If so, you could consider switching, assuming you do other things well, in terms of dexterity, with your support hand.

I think variations like this are not unusual, whether due to injury or the variability we get in different people. I am significantly stronger on a grip tester with my support hand, which is not surprising as I had a tear in my right wrist, which was surgically repaired. My wife shoots support hand significantly better than "strong" hand, despite not being cross eye dominant.
    Interesting.

Unfortunately I'm not cross eye dominant. And my strong hand is indeed stronger in gripping, although I've been trying to bring my weak hand up with a grip strength trainer.

How hard are you gripping strong hand? If you are over gripping, it's hard to work the trigger fast. Try relaxing your grip to a firm handshake and make sure your trigger press is isolated from your grip. Your trigger finger needs to be relaxed in order to stroke faster.

Sometimes when we work on stuff that "should" be harder, we do better because we concentrate more. A prime example of this is doing dim light qualification. It's common to see folks shoot better in dim light with night sights that during the day when they can see better. The reason is more focus on the sights under the more difficult conditions.

Could you just be trying harder off hand, and seeing better results?

Ken

Site Supporter
    Assuming the accuracy is the same, I see no problem with this. This calls for a timer and live fire practice!

My weak hand trigger finger confuses me, the first time Todd came up to teach a class I was having a helluva time getting my strong hand trigger finger to do the reset under recoil Todd was teaching. It wasn't until I did it weak hand that something clicked in my head, it seemed easy and natural to do as a lefty, but took a bunch of work to do with my right hand, one handed or two handed.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List