Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Bill Drill times ?

Well I just checked my local range, looks like the next USPSA match won't be until March. I guess they don't hold them in the colder months. Bummer.

After finally getting back behind the gun in a serious fashion, I starting doing bill drills again. I shot a couple of clean 2.20s, a couple of unclean sub-2.00s, then shot a 1.98 clean and decided it was time to go home for the day. This was using the Taurus PT1911 that I'm torture testing, because I like 1911s with erratic ejection patterns that throw brass into my face.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    because I like 1911s with erratic ejection patterns that throw brass into my face.
    Well who doesn't?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I like 1911s with erratic ejection patterns that throw brass into my face.
    Is that still considered a facial?

Bill Drill times ?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Is that still considered a facial?
    Given that it's a Taurus I'd have to call it a 'no-money shot.'

And to the OP, I looked back through my journals and bill drills are usually clean on a B8 bull but glacial at ~4 seconds. Lot of work to do.
    Last edited by JAD; 12-18-2015 at 05:26 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Well who doesn't?
    You know what the damndest thing is? I actually really like this gun, because it's a 9mm 1911 with a pretty decent trigger. It's a hoot to shoot, but it has all these little issues that drive me, or any other serious shooter, totally nuts. It's like having an old roadster that's really great to drive, but leaks oil everywhere and has all kinds of electric gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    And to the OP, I looked back through my journals and bill drills are usually clean on a B8 bull but glacial at ~4 seconds. Lot of work to do.
    I'm sure you can learn to do that faster, but if you mean in the black of a B8 bull, that is a little less than half the size of an 8" circle, and a little over a third the size of a USPSA lower A-zone, which is the target most associated with the two-second Bill Drill benchmark.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm sure you can learn to do that faster, but if you mean in the black of a B8 bull...
    I did. That's nice then.
    Ignore Alien Orders

OK, this thread got me wanting to work on my speed to first shot and then to also see where my times differ from a single shot, to what the first shot is on a string of shots. I was running SEB targets shooting for the upper box about 6" square @ 7 yards. I was running singles at about low .70's on average with some high .60's. When running strings of fire instead of singles I was running about .5 seconds on average slower to the first shot.

I did however run about the best Bill Drill ever. The video was only part of my personal training vlog so I didn't show the target, but the group is what amazed me. It was very close to a ragged hole. I will say that the sun must have been shining on this old dogs ass that training day as all my shots or groups were money. Just one of those days.

Anyway I ran about my best Bill Drill ever considering overall time and groups. I will note that I think my splits overall are getting slower a bit but I think that I am just being pickier about group sizes. I used to be OK with an entire A zone, but now I like to shrink that acceptable hit zone size down quite a bit.

Anyway I ran a 1.75 with a .75 / .22 / .20 / .20 / .21 / .17 Sorry but is was not from the surrender position. It just makes me realize how hard it is to decrease times by just a tenth and how some guys running 1.6's or better are just smoking fast.

https://youtu.be/amSGAA9kPMQ
    Last edited by Surf; 12-22-2015 at 12:35 AM.

That is awesome, Surf!
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List