Thread: Grip acquisition on the draw AIWB

Grip acquisition on the draw AIWB

I've never really been happy with my draw speed, and I'm not sure if I just need to do change my technique or if I just need to do the same thing, but faster. The process of gripping the gun is what I want to focus on.

So, for those of you with a speedy AIWB concealment draw, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does your strong hand come at the holstered gun from above, to the side, or below? (or some hybrid thereof)
    2. At what stage is the full, firing grip acquired (I've been assuming 'before the gun leaves the holster')
    3. What are your fingers doing during this process? (Digging between the gun and your body, etc)
    4. What 'tells' you, in terms of feel, that the gun is ready to come out of the holster?

If any of these are gun-specific, I'm running (well, walking, for now) a P30.

Thanks!
    -C.J.

We are diminished
    My hand comes from above and just slightly behind (from the floorplate end). I don't draw the gun from my holster unless my SH grip is complete.

I start the movement of the cover garment with both hands. This places my shooting hand above the grip and I move my shooting hand straight down onto the grip. Full grip is gained in the holster, however like any draw stroke from any holster, I may not always have the most ideal grip. If the grip is really FUBAR I also don't draw the weapon. Drawing or not drawing, grip dependent comes with experience. If it doesn't feel correct start over. I do a lot of dry work also.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    My hand comes from above and just slightly behind (from the floorplate end). I don't draw the gun from my holster unless my SH grip is complete.
    Todd,

Do you have a full sweat shield on your holster? I've been having a difficult time getting a grip from my JMCK holster with full sweat shield and am considering cutting it off.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Do you have a full sweat shield on your holster? I've been having a difficult time getting a grip from my JMCK holster with full sweat shield and am considering cutting it off.
    No, mid.

User Tag List