Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green introduces a single stack 9mm

As a prewar pocket pistol fetishist, I must say that this is relevent to my interest

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    In five years, I guarantee someone with thick rimmed glasses and a neck tattoo will tell me that his cary gun is a "Remington 51, it's pretty obscure so you probably haven't heard of it." Then I'll tell him to shut up and finish making my coffee.
    You can say to him: "Dude, don't you KNOW I'm a BLOGGER on The Internet?"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Never mind.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-09-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post

I'm 6'3" and need XXL gloves, sometimes bigger, but my hands are kind of long and thin, so the ham-handed among you might have better luck.
    Actually this might be the reason you have an issue with the safety. Most companies tend to build to the size of the vast majority of who they believe their customers are. Cars used to be made mostly for men of average height to be most comfortable, and people too far from that average weren't very comfortable. I'm sure the gun industry is fairly similar in this regard, i.e. the more you hands differ from average size, the less many guns will fit you.
    Have you had issues with grip safeties in other guns?
    Last edited by DanH; 01-09-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: clarity
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Actually this might be the reason you have an issue with the safety. Most companies tend to build to the size of the vast majority of who they believe their customers are. Cars used to be made mostly for men of average height to be most comfortable, and people too far from that average weren't very comfortable. I'm sure the gun industry is fairly similar in this regard, i.e. the more you hands differ from average size, the less many guns will fit you.
    Have you had issues with grip safeties in other guns?
    XD's, and 1911's with dinky little milspec grip safeties, sure. Not with beavertail/"memory bump" 1911's.
    The issue of course isn't that the gun won't work with a good grip, the issue is that a good grip might not be achievable.

1911 grip safeties can be tuned to deactivate with less travel, and I have to have my 1911 grip safeties pinned or tuned. Wonder if the Remington grip safety can be similarly tuned?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1911 grip safeties can be tuned to deactivate with less travel, and I have to have my 1911 grip safeties pinned or tuned. Wonder if the Remington grip safety can be similarly tuned?
    Any idea what characteristic of your grip makes that so? I have never known anyone with that and always wondered about it when I'd read reference to same. I've not experienced it across almost a dozen guns since the early '80's and sometimes thought it was a myth.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I wear XL gloves, have long fingers, but proportionately smaller palms. My assumption is there is less volume in the web between my thumb and index finger, making it harder to fully depress the grip safety. It was worse when I shot the Gunsite Weaver with thumbs up. Jeff Cooper pinned his grip safety, and it was commonly done then.

Tuning the grip safety and my thumbs forward grip mostly cures this, but occasionally with an imperfect grip, I either get the problem, or am on the edge of it (you can feel it in the trigger).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I occasionally don't hit the 1911 grip safety, and mine is tuned, big memory bump etc. I've got medium to smallish hands with thin fingers but when I miss it it's because I'm getting my hands up too high. My glock grip is significantly higher on the gun and I've grown accustomed to that. It's one of the reasons that a new CZ75bd is in my safe waiting on my Cajun Gun Works parts and JR Custom leather.

I had a chance at SHOT to examine this pistol a bit more scientifically. On the two pistols I tried, when I took a high grip (web of my hand wedged up high), unless I was squeezing tightly, the grip safety failed to depress sufficiently, every single attempt. With a lower (worse) grip, or with a higher grip if I squeezed hard, I had no problems.

User Tag List