Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad sad sad

Sad sad sad

Found out this afternoon that the fire trucks and ambulance in my neighborhood yesterday was for a man who accidentally shot himself in the leg and bled out in his backyard. He was coming back from shooting the new handgun he had gotten for Christmas.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who do their part to educate others in firearm safety.

He actually died from the leg wound?

Unpossible, because every time a cop has to shoot a bad guy with a knife everyone on the internets knows they didn't have to kill 'em, you just shoot them in the leg.

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Unpossible, because every time a cop has to shoot a bad guy with a knife everyone on the internets knows they didn't have to kill 'em, you just shoot them in the leg.
    Exactly. I have more than once told the story of one of one of the first accidental GSWs I ever worked whenever folks revert to that. Guy was seated and messing with his RG and put a .38 round through his femoral artery. Without going into too much detail, there were some questions about two troops that did not render first aid quickly enough save the guy's life. The questions ended when the doc told the investigator that HE could not have saved his life unless the guy was on a gurney in the ER when it happened, as the shot essentially allowed a thumb sized stream of blood to flow and the guy was on E before the help arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Leg shots aren't required if you shoot the knife out of their hand.

What was it that Col Cooper said about the 4 rules? (admittedly taken from a different context, but still applicable)

"We need all four and we do not need five. It should not be necessary to belabor this issue, but life is not perfect."

Serious buzz kill for whomever it was in his life that loved him enough to pony up for the gift gun.

We are diminished
    If they become available, I'd be interested in the details. Was it his first gun? First handgun? First handgun of that type/brand?

Site Supporter
    It is unfortunate news. My condolences to his family.

Ouch indeed. And VERY sad for that guys family.

Similar thing happened in my neighborhood. Friday before Christmas, I picked the kids up from school. Driving in to the neighborhood I spot a lot of EMS & police activity at the other main artery in our neighborhood.

Found out from a friend who lives on that side that a few "young" (think teenage) kids were home from the early release at school, and were ripping up and down the street on motorbikes of some kind. No helmets. One fell and took a major shot to the head somehow. Kid wasn't expected to make it.

Crushing for sure right before Christmas.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

According to the local paper he was a 63 yo gun enthusiast. A retired USMC master sgt. He had been shooting a 9mm handgun at a local range when it jammed. Instead of clearing it at the range he took it home where he had the AD. The round severed his femoral artery.

The next time I am at the range I'll see if I can find out what kind of 9mm.

User Tag List