Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Standards

Shotgun Standards

I just got myself a well-used trade-in 870P, and have only the first clue about how to use it. Last week I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it (for what looks like the first time, ever). Never seen a dirtier gun in my life. Never could get some of the plastic out of the barrel...

I'm hitting the range tomorrow to wring it out and would appreciate some ideas for drills or standards to shoot for. The ones I've found online are not wonderful. If you know of any, please post them or a link here. Thanks!

Aside from pure marksmanship, I'd say the two biggest concerns with shotguns are: how fast one can reload and how well one can hit a moving target. I'd imagine any drills worth it would cover either of those, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I just got myself a well-used trade-in 870P, and have only the first clue about how to use it. Last week I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it (for what looks like the first time, ever). Never seen a dirtier gun in my life. Never could get some of the plastic out of the barrel...

I'm hitting the range tomorrow to wring it out and would appreciate some ideas for drills or standards to shoot for. The ones I've found online are not wonderful. If you know of any, please post them or a link here. Thanks!
    The single biggest thing to learn about shotguns is how to properly mount them so that you don't beat yourself apart when shooting one. Once that is done, they can be really fun to shoot.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Funny, after jlw posted that, first thing I did was google Rob Haught. Will be practicing that technique. My only real shotgun experience is sporting clays so tomorrow may be more familiarization than anything.
    Last edited by TR675; 12-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.

HiTS (http://hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/) in Texas has great shotgun classes, as does Steve Fisher at Magpul and Scotty Reitz at ITTS.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I do the LAPD D Platoon shotgun qualification course when working with an 870. It has the benefit of only requiring two slugs and eleven 00 Buck rounds, on a 25-yard range. The scoring system is set up for the 9-pellet loads, though. So you need to remember that when buying ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I do the LAPD D Platoon shotgun qualification course when working with an 870. It has the benefit of only requiring two slugs and eleven 00 Buck rounds, on a 25-yard range. The scoring system is set up for the 9-pellet loads, though. So you need to remember that when buying ammo.
    A quick Google didn't reveal what this standard actually is, beyond the factoid that it has 6 strings. Do you have a link or a more detailed explanation?

If you have the ability/availability of a steel plate rack, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25 yards, pluse a timer. Its simple and helps with learning recoil, working the action, etc. Just keep speeding it up while staying 100% 1 for 1 on the steel.

Clays and birds are about the best for moving targets.

A lot of the low rd count pistol/rifle drills can be done with the shotty, just use steel or some kind of a hit/miss target that doesn't get destroyed on the first hit (I.e. stay away from paper and cardboard as much as you can, it gets messy).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    A quick Google didn't reveal what this standard actually is, beyond the factoid that it has 6 strings. Do you have a link or a more detailed explanation?
    Ditto. More shotgun training and practice is on my Things To Do In 2014 list. Them D Platoon boys seem to know what they are doing...

User Tag List