Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitz specials

Fitz specials

Stopped by the funnest of Fun Stores in the area yesterday and got to talking with one of the gents behind the counter. He brought out a couple of rarities.

This one is an original Fitz special, made as a gift for a local Texas luminary back in the day - a beautiful snub Colt .45. The metalwork is absolutely outstanding. The gift-or and gift-ee's initials are engraved on the sides of the revolver. The engraving is beautifully done. I have never wanted a big bore revo - ok, an authentic, vintage big bore revo - quite so much.

This one is a Fitz knockoff, made on a 5 screw S&W and carried by a Marine Corps aviator in Korea. The Marine's name and "USMC" are engraved on the backstrap. The metalwork is not up to par with the Fitz above, but the piece is still very, very cool.

Thought there might be some interest in these vintage carry/belly guns.

I like Fitz Specials to be Colts, but a .45 Smith & Wesson is a step in the right direction. At least Elmer would approve of the caliber. He liked S&w revovers and Fitz liked guns that worked.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Do you know why I hate Fitz Specials?

Because knowledge of those things has caused the wreckage of more fine old guns...

I have seen with my own eyes more than one pre-war N-Frame wrecked in an attempt to make a "Fitz Special", one of them an exceptionally nice, tight .38/44 Outdoorsman, whacked back to the ejector rod, crudely recrowned, with a dime for a front sight, the trigger guard cut away... and adjustable sights. The surgery was covered up with cold blue. I get ill just remembering it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Fitz Specials have always fascinated me.

I made a sort-of "Jordan Special" out of my Dad's M-442 when he passed. Jordan knew that completely cutting away the front half of the trigger guard was bad juju, so what he did was thin out the front half. I did that, plus chopped a quarter inch off the butt, gently increased the radiusing on a few corners, and had it Black T'ed. The result is a pretty nifty pocket-carry J frame.

I've got photos, but I don't do the PhotoBucket or other "hosting" thing; got spammed big-time when I did that once.

S&W made the near-perfect production examples of this genre of revolver, with the M-242 and M-296. I've often wondered why those weren't more popular. But aside from mine, I've only ever seen two other 242s, and I've yet to lay eyeballs (other than via photographs) on a 296.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde from Carolina View Post
    I like Fitz Specials to be Colts, but a .45 Smith & Wesson is a step in the right direction. At least Elmer would approve of the caliber. He liked S&w revovers and Fitz liked guns that worked.
    Uh… I believe that S&W is a J frame (i.e., .38).

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Yup. Flat-latch 36.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

LSP - Tapatalk will host photos directly if you are uploading from a mobile (at least, it will for Apple iOS devices).

Tam - true! But, Bubba's gonna Bubba. Someone who would do that to a .38-44...well, that gun was doomed no matter what.

Somebody get a picture of the "Fitz Special Glock" that was up for sale on one of the other forums a few months back.

{edit}
    Here it is!
    From Gunbroker.

Attachment 1993
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-22-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I love the paint job on those magazines. Just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

I got in a hurry and my brain saw the .45 from the Colt and somehow confused that with the .38 Smith. My inner gun geek is suitably humbled now.

User Tag List