Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mustang will have a turbo four cylinder

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FOUR View Post
    two important bits there.
    1) there's a tax based on displacement.
    The country of Europe taxes engines based on displacement?

(Englischers don't consider themselves European. The number of cylinders does not directly correlate with displacement. Member countries in the EU tax motors ten different ways from Sunday, only some of which involve displacement. Audis, BMWs, Citroens, Daimler, Etcetera all make >4 cylinder engines.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I wonder about all these turbos they're throwing in motors these days. When turbos go wrong it gets rudely expensive, and there's quite a history of factory turbos going wrong in at least the first generations. My concern would be more on the long-term reliability question than anything else.
    Turbos have come along way in the reliability department...as has Ford in general. If they properly set up the motor, and the owners don't do stupid mods, they should be as reliable as the current V6's.

That being said, turbocharged cars do have certain procedures that should be followed, such as waiting until the motor is fully warmed up to beat on it, as well as letting it cool down for a couple of minutes afterwards so the oil doesn't boil itself into sludge.

Turbos are the wave of the future with the new gas mileage regulations. It really is the best way to get good power out of a car and not have to pay the gas guzzler tax.

This is why the current M5/M6, the upcoming M3, the new AMG Mercedes', and even F1 (next year) are using (relatively) small forced-induction motors.

This thread makes me miss my na turbo Miata

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    ...But, there is just something about the sound of a well tuned V-8.
    yes!

The pictures I've seen look pretty good, the interior will probably be a bit better, and it will probably perform better than the existing Mustang...which is already a performance bargain. I've been sorely tempted to go out and buy a basic model Mustang GT with a third pedal and some of the go-fast suspension bits, but better judgment has won out so far.
    watch for dealers looking to offload their 2014 stock when the 2015 hits the lot, but snag an auto instead of the 6spd manual (the auto is great, and does very, very well at the drag strip!).

...which is interesting when you think about it. The conditions of the world are eerily similar to when the Mustang II was launched.
    bite your tongue

I was on the fence with all the renderings that were online, but the I really like the looks of the car and can't wait to see it in person. I'm not a fan of the independent rear suspension, but that can be swapped easily for drag racing purposes; in fact, FoMoCo may be offering a body-in-white version with solid rear axle .

When I was in high school my dad had a 1988 Thunderbird turbo coupe (5spd manual) - man that car flew. The turbo version should do well, more so if they can lighten it up a bit. An ecoboost V6 would be a hoot...

my fav color (which may change once we can see them in person)

I'm estatic they are finally putting independent rear suspension in the mustang. If they adress the poor brakes this car will become a very nice track/daily

FoMoCo will be building these in right hand drive. So this is the first time (afaik) that we will be able to buy a Mustang here that isn't a one off grey market imported converted to right hand drive. I'm guessing the four cylinder turbo will outsell the V8 by a very big margin here.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

On the topic of turbo 4s vs v8, I own a Mopar special edition Charger which makes ~400 horsepower. I also own a Mini Cooper JCW that makes 200 hp and about the same torques. There are very few places where I can safely use all 400 ponies in the Charger. On the flip side, I can use all the available power in the Coop on a freeway on ramp. There's a part of me that would rather have a good car I can drive to its limits than a big powerful car that I can only max on a track.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    On the topic of turbo 4s vs v8, I own a Mopar special edition Charger which makes ~400 horsepower. I also own a Mini Cooper JCW that makes 200 hp and about the same torques. There are very few places where I can safely use all 400 ponies in the Charger. On the flip side, I can use all the available power in the Coop on a freeway on ramp. There's a part of me that would rather have a good car I can drive to its limits than a big powerful car that I can only max on a track.
    Can I get an "amen", brethren! I too pedal a Mini (original recipe R53 w/pulley) that sits in roughly the same class. it's far from the fastest car I've driven, but it's probably the most usable/accessible--on a daily basis--performer. Lots of glass to see what's coming, as well.

The concept you espouse goes exponentially for motorcycles, IMNSHO. Most that I've owned spent their lives lounging in the bottom end of their own performance reservoirs.

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I miss my 1.6NA non turbo. It was a ton of fun to wring out all 115 horsepower.

Part of the fun was the 2100lb curb weight, manual steering, and general unrefined nature.

I have a hard time getting excited about most newer cars. The new Stang is a looker. I'm hoping its not as boring a drive as most of the newer blue oval cars.

User Tag List