Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense gun different than what you CC?

Home defense gun different than what you CC?

I currently have a G26 and a Shield 9mm for when I need something more slim. I also have a P226 9mm with a light mounted on it that stays in the safe.

My questions being, do you guys carry different than what you use at home defense aka "night stand gun"?

Do you add a light to whatever you carry when you get home (if your carry does not already have a light)?

My thinking being is to either stay in the realm of striker fire and focus time, money and training with that platform rather than being proficient in both DA/SA and striker fired.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Nate

My carry gun/holster sit on my nightstand at night with my everyday flashlight next to it.

Carry a G17 at work. We are not authorized to carry lights on our duty pistols.

Often carry a G19 off duty.

Nightstand gun is a G17 with a light mounted and +2 base pad on the mag. 20 rounds before slide lock, light stays on it. Pretty good package IMHO.

I like having a WML on my house gun and I don't like taking it on and off all the time so my nightstand gun is usually different than my CCW.
    Here lately it's a P2000SK for CCW and a USP9 with a TLR3 on the nightstand.
    Both have LEM triggers and Trijicon HD night sights.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I like having a WML on my house gun and I don't like taking it on and off all the time so my nightstand gun is usually different than my CCW.
    ^This^

I typically carry a Glock, but that is only because the Remmy 870 is hard to conceal...

My CCW is a Shield 9mm and sometimes an LCR 38.

For HD it's a M&P45 4" w/nightsights.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Site Supporter
    My carry is a G26 or G17 depending on the situation. The nightstand gun is a G34 or a G17 with a x300 depending on which one I got set-up for dry practice. I think I will follow Chuck's lead and add a magazine extension.

I've got a Surefire handheld light identical to my EDC with the nightstand gun. Very few situations needing light needs to be muzzled as well.

Sometimes you just got to run with what you got, it might not be optimal, put you can start walking towards optimal. For handguns I have one platform with all the same sights. The mag and slide releases vary on the guns but I am not going to get compulsive about it.

The home defense gun is an AR with an X300 Ultra - those mo-fo's are tight on a picitinny rail, took me like two hours and a loss of man pride to get that thing installed.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 12-26-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added handheld light

With my limited time available for training, a consistent manual of arms is important to me. I have a P30 with an X300 for home defense and a P2000SK for carry. Both are LEM trigger. My humble suggestion is to decide whether you prefer the Glock, M&P or Sig platform and go from there.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "Home defense gun" means a couple different things for me...

I put on and take off my CCW gun with my clothes. If I've got shoes and jeans on, I'm wearing a pistol with a light and laser.

There's a handgun I can reach easily from in bed. Call me paranoid, but it doesn't take many friends waking up with an intruder actually in their bed to make this seem a reasonable idea. It's a 2" K-frame Smith .38, so that I've got a full K-frame grip in my hand while the other person only has a 2" barrel to grab; it's a revolver because it seems like if there's one circumstance where contact shots might be an issue, that'd be it; it's a .38 and not a Magnum so that I don't set myself on fire; and it's steel-framed so that it can be used to go all Joe Pesci and beat the bad guy to a paste in a pinch.

If I get out of bed, I can access my CCW pistol while deciding whether the situation warrants going to fetch a carbine or not.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List