Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense gun different than what you CC?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Yeah, you definitely want extra sugary toothpaste between your two pieces of chocolate-colored cardboard. Yuck.

Sometimes I just don't get you, man.

Simply un-American.

Regular Oreos, Chips Ahoy, or Pepperidge Farms Mint Milanos. In milk.

Same short gun as I would carry out and about, with more long guns around than I could carry at one time. Extremely rural, 6' board fence, noisy dog when anyone comes around, vid camera with portable monitor to see the yard and driveway. Its generally at the gate to the yard that I meet anyone coming around. Always have a pistol on or in pocket if not properly dressed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Chief, have you actually tried maneuvering through a house carrying a small child (even a simulated one) and a long gun?
    Does a neurotic terrier count?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I think that's close enough.

One thing that strikes me is that often these choices are driven by how we imagine an incident will go. I feel like it's easy to get stuck on one particular scenario and prepare for that.

I think one of the driving issues is TIME.

It takes me 12 to 15 seconds to get to my pistol safe and get a hot G19 with a WML in my hand. If my first clue that something is amiss is somebody in my bedroom, that gun is useless to me. I've accepted that because I can't accept unsecured firearms in my home.

If I hear my front door being kicked in, I might have enough time to wake up, realize what's going on, arm myself with a pistol and post at the top of the stairs, while my wife gets the shotgun and phone.

Last summer when I had a dilapidated pickup with a cab full of homo sapiens scrotus come up my 1/4 mile driveway backwards, because that's the only way to make a quick getaway from my driveway, I had time to grab a shotgun.

Etc, etc, etc....

So I think our 'home defense plan" might best include a tiered response. If I can't get to a pistol, i fight empty hand or with whatever is laying around. If I can get to a pistol I get to a pistol. If I have time to get to the shotgun, I get to the shotgun etc.

I think I've helped this thread drift from the original posters intent, and for that I apologize. But I have been retooling my plans based on our new locations, so mall ninja snark aside, this discussion has been valuable

Site Supporter
    A really smart one, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I plan on countering a home invasion DB style, buck nekid, grabbing my Viking helmet and shotgun from beside the nightstand, and giving a war cry as I launch.

If the rest of you ain't planning the same then you just don't understand OODA
    As funny as it is, this is almost exactly the situation that resulted in my first shotgun acquisition
    I awakened one morning to the sounds of my front door being kicked in and when the guy got it open he found a 300 lb guy standing there, in his underwear, with a very large...baseball bat.
    I totally wish I'd had a Viking helmet. It's the only way I could have traumatized him more.
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

Definitely. I carry a J-frame but my beside the bed gun is a .40 M&P with an X300. I am an attorney so it isn't practical for me to carry a combat autoloader at all times--plus I am old and lazy. The J-frame is obviously a huge compromise, but obviously having 5 .38 gold dots beats trying to use the Jedi mind trick on people. On the other hand, when I am home, I don't see why I shouldn't have as many bullets/biggest bullets on hand as possible. I keep my pistol in a quick-release safe on my nigthtstand under my glasses. I also keep two spare mags. Everything else stays in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    As funny as it is, this is almost exactly the situation that resulted in my first shotgun acquisition
    I awakened one morning to the sounds of my front door being kicked in and when the guy got it open he found a 300 lb guy standing there, in his underwear, with a very large...baseball bat.
    I totally wish I'd had a Viking helmet. It's the only way I could have traumatized him more.
    This is friggin hilarious...my first line of defense is a Malinois, cause she'll be at the door (or window) waiting..she actually hears footsteps outside of the house... before I'm fully awake.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    This is friggin hilarious...my first line of defense is a Malinois, cause she'll be at the door (or window) waiting..she actually hears footsteps outside of the house... before I'm fully awake.
    I know right? If I had to choose between only owning a gun, and only owning a GSD, I'd be hard pressed to decide...

To further thread drift:

What kind of training have you done with your Malinois? We are still working basic obedience and manners with our GSD, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I didn't do anything special with my last GSD, and he evolved into a pretty good watch dog, and excellent family companion.

Well now I have a mission...
    Whatever you do, don't try the candy-cane flavored ones. Those things must be made with Satan's tears. Serving size: one box.

User Tag List