Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve been mulling @TGS thoughts on this over. Here’s another interesting phenomenon, which will probably be no surprise: tipping the valets. I always tip those guys on the way out the door from the gig, since they have my car, and I’d like to stay in the good graces of the venue. It didn’t take long *at all* before they knew my name and started giving me the choice spot to load in, and access to the fastest level for parking; I never have to wait more than 60 seconds for my rig once I show up at the exit. They always seem genuinely appreciative for the tip.

Thing is, it’s just a ten. What, people can spend 350-550 a night for a single king room, but a ten spot is seen as a good tip for collecting the type of cars that park there? That’s hard to get my brain around.
    My dad always told me pay attention to the bell captain and the valet. Had a good friend who spent some some time as a doorman for various hotels in nyc. The amount that they can pull and trade is astounding. Including somehow getting me box tickets to a Yankees game at short notice just because I gave him a fifth of whisky at Christmas time for him and his guys. Plus ten dollars.

Site Supporter
    Forget if I mentioned this. As a boy, I went to religious school and then after services, we went to class. Of course, it was jackets and ties. My class, however, was going to do a skit in the sanctuary. I was to be a farmer, with overalls and a rake. Thus, we went to services and after prayer, the principal of the school made some remarks. He had a tantrum about not dressing for services. My friend - Hey, he is talking about you! I said - Just you wait. Then we were called up. I stepped forward at my part - looked the principal in the eye and started: I am the farmer, I till the land and grow ....

Haha. He had to look down.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Remember dressing up for flying? We took a long distance train ride and dressed up. We were dressed up in the dining car.

It wasn't just the glasses for Superman's disguise:

Name:  Clark Kent.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  13.3 KB
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

All I can say is that I love the fact that untucked shirts are considered acceptable in a lot more situations than they were say, 20-30 years ago. It makes carry a lot easier.

The Mennonite Church I attend decided about 30 years ago that they needed to change their image for the mission of bringing folks to Jesus. Believe it or don't, but folks are intimidated/put off by guys with Amish style beards, wearing suits and hats to church and driving black four door Buick 225's with no radio and no A/C singing hymns a cappella.

Almost overnight the dress code changed, I have a friend who laments the fact that women no longer wear bonnets because she had dreamed of the day she would be old enough to wear one and then poof! they were gone.

Bring in the instruments, lead pastor went from suits to tucked in polos, the guy that we hired for him to mentor and ultimately become our lead pastor, never wore anything but jeans, I didn't know he owned a suit until I went to a funeral he officiated.

I'm told, some folks bitched about the instruments, but no one bitched about the relaxed dress code.

I can not see why anyone would want to be uncomfortable in their attire, and ties are uncomfortable. Likewise I had enough of uniformity in LE and the military.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I actually don't find ties to be uncomfortable. I just find them to be annoying to tie - mostly because I wear them so infrequently that every time I wear one, I need to relearn how to tie them.

I don't find suits to be uncomfortable, either.

But it's 2023 and I live in flyover country and there isn't a decent tailor for a thousand miles and it's a lot cheaper to try different jeans and chinos and polos and button-downs until you find one that has a cut that fits OK than it is to drive to Minneapolis or Salt Lake City or Seattle and hope you can find a suit and a tailor who is worth a damn (and hopefully one who doesn't get too freaked out by needing to tailor the suit for man-and-gun). And then you get to be the best dressed person around and that isn't very Gray Man™.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter
    If you have a Men’s Wearhouse near you, they will tailor the suits you buy from them to work with your concealed carry handgun.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a doctor wearing a suit at work. I think it has to be the ex-military surgeon who yanked my appendix back in '68. That wasn't the last time I saw him in a suit, I never saw him in anything else except scrubs before and right after he operated on me. 90% of the time he wore one of a bunch of brown suits he owned with a yellow shirt and brown bow tie. I did see him in a blue and a grey suit and it kind of startled me. He was working until his late 70's, and the last time I saw him he had the usual uniform on. After him, our GP wore a tie sometimes until the early '80's when it went away. Last orthopedic guy I went to had the usual scrubs with "Dr. Ben" on them. I don't think at this point I would want someone who wears a suit involved in my care.

I just remembered, the last guy I saw wearing a suit was one of the two unfortunate doctors who I reamed out on a late Sunday afternoon, when they came in and told me they were concerned about my blood pressure and I totally exploded. I was in the cardiac observation section (I don't know what it's real name was), and it was by far, the noisiest medical facility I've ever been in. Even with ear plugs, I was constantly being woken up by the endless paging, people laughing, alarms going off, "code blues", and the twice nightly checks for my BP (Both times) and blood draws (once), and the thing that as the days went by, angered me the most, when they came in, they asked, "Are you having chest pains?". I came in Wed, and by Sun, I was severely sleep deprived, and was like a cocked gun with a hair trigger. And I went off. One doctor, the one in the suit, was Indian, and he got the worst of it. I yelled so loudly that a friend's wife, who was a nurse, could clearly understand every word 3 floors above me and on the other side of the wing. I told them if they didn't leave me alone from 10 until the damn ice water delivery in the morning (And why is that done before breakfast? Who cares all that much about a pitcher of ice water?), I was leaving, AMA, I didn't care. I wanted no BP checks, no blood drawn, and especially nobody asking me the dumbest question in the world, IMHO, "Are you having chest pains?", I would call the nurse ASAP if I was, so why are they asking it? Then the other doctor, from Jordan, I think it was, said, "We would like to run a stress test!", and that set me off, "What do you think the last 5 days have been? Get out of here, and don't come back!". My voice was totally shot for days after that. My friend's wife was totally shocked when she heard it was me, as she's never seen me even slightly angry.

I didn't put it to those doctors that nicely, I was about as angry as I've ever been. They did leave me alone all night, and in the morning, my BP was 120/80, and they were tossing me out to a rehab place for my totally trashed knees. I was kind of famous as one of the all time "Flip outs" at that hospital, which sadly recently closed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I've read that WWII and Korea killed the market for hats.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Perhaps you can explain?

Soldiers got tired of headgear because they had to wear helmets or something?

Inquiring minds would like to know more.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I read the article several years ago. I don't remember the source and I may have misunderstood the whole thing, but that's the gist of it. It's not just that you wear a helmet in the military, you wear a hat most of the time and sweet mother of Jesus it gets old. IIRC, several menswear firms were poised to cash in on the hat trade at the end of those wars but nothing came of it.

I did a quick Google search and found something that basically sums up the article that I read: https://theboar.org/2021/07/men-dont-wear-hats/

It's interesting that one of the sources cited is the "Hat Research Foundation (HRF)."

Okie John
    I read or heard it was John F. Kennedy who killed hats because he didn't wear one at his inauguration. I am off to search for that theory because I think I heard it before the internet was invented.

Seems it's not true.
    --Jason--

User Tag List