Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

I get just a smidge irritated by people that get irked by more casual attire in specifically professional business situations. It’s axiomatic that styles change… what many hold onto as professional was considered way underdressed 60 yrs ago.

I’m a fairly senior accountant at an aerospace company most would know. We recently went to casual dress - jeans and polos for instance. If I often had meetings with execs I’d dress a bit nicer. But I don’t so I essentially wear hiking clothes every day. I don’t like jeans, but directors wear jeans all the time.

Everyone’s situation dictates the type of dress. They may be a slob in your eyes, but fully appropriate where they work.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

[QUOTE=MountainRaven;1531263] I think you're taking the wrong lesson from this.]

No, I get it. I just prefer to create an opinion of someone and be judged by what is said and done.

You do you, casual or biz, dress for success, and all that...
    Last edited by Alembic; 12-04-2023 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Headed to a funeral tomorrow.
    Thinking of going off script and skipping the tie…
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Our 'fancy' clothing store was J.C. Penney, until it closed.
    My house burned in 2010. I have replaced most things, but not neckties. I wear a mock turtleneck with my J.C. Penney suit. I have told my friends that if they bury me in a necktie, I will haunt them.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    People have opinions on things. In addition to wardrobe/attire, you'll find folks get worked up about all sorts of other things, too. Like 1911s/Glocks, manual transmissions, the correct apparatus for turning meat into BBQ, power tools, etc.
    of course.

and, like many of those, I don't see it as the cross to die on.

Unlike many of those, it becomes really strange to me when people put a dollar figure on their ability to dress in a certain way or are perhaps unaware of their appearance's impact on their financial outcomes.

If someone wants to dress like a Gen A teenager and it doesn't affect their financial outcomes or prospects, I say good on 'em. People probably *are* judging you when they see that; it's just that they don't matter (or, don't matter now, or you don't know that they matter).

Just like I know I get judged in dress pants and shirt at the office, particularly by the guys that come in from the jobsites thinking their jeans and boots (that never leave the trailer) are a badge of honor. I've heard guys say they don't want a promotion involving corporate office time because they wouldn't want to "dress up". IDK if that' just them hedging bets, or they don't know what sort of comp they're really turning down (for one thing, potential bonus structure that can go from 25% of base to 50% of base), or they're scared of the responsibility anyway, or what. But to *me* turning down a potential 25% bump so that you don't have to put on slacks is weird.

I also think that, historically, there's some class stuff and some sneetchism going on.

Going back to the "Rubenesque" physique being considered attractive, that was rooted in the fact that only the rich had the time and money to get fat. Today, only the rich have the time and money to go to the gym, so slimmer physiques are the hotness.

When you look at any historically working-class or lower-class group, there's often a subset of young men, in particular, that develop a price in appearance that's rooted in not looking like their working-class brethren while still maintaining a unique look. Rude Boys, Zoot-Suiters, Rhinestone Cowboys... even ghetto culture is about showing off how much your outfit costs vs. how cheap your rent is. As a response, it's not uncommon today to see people riding around in supercars and living in mansions with full-sleeve tattoos, raggedy clothes, etc. Just like only the rich can afford to go to the gym, only the rich can dress however they want, so they dress like hobos to prove it.

And the pendulum always swings. The masses start emulating the rich (star belly machine), and the rich change the game (plain belly machine). What's the new thing, from Succession, "quiet wealth" or something like that? The rich aren't dressing like hobos now, they're dressing in very understated, simple clothes that just happen to cost hundreds of dollars. the "succession hat" alone is like a plain ball cap that costs $500 or something?

I read one article that said that one sign of upper-middle-class-wealth was having many, single-purpose, bags for various things (one for work, one for the beach, one for vacation, one for around town, etc.). I think that excludes gun enthusiast.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    of course.

and, like many of those, I don't see it as the cross to die on.

Unlike many of those, it becomes really strange to me when people put a dollar figure on their ability to dress in a certain way or are perhaps unaware of their appearance's impact on their financial outcomes.

If someone wants to dress like a Gen A teenager and it doesn't affect their financial outcomes or prospects, I say good on 'em. People probably *are* judging you when they see that; it's just that they don't matter (or, don't matter now, or you don't know that they matter).

Just like I know I get judged in dress pants and shirt at the office, particularly by the guys that come in from the jobsites thinking their jeans and boots (that never leave the trailer) are a badge of honor. I've heard guys say they don't want a promotion involving corporate office time because they wouldn't want to "dress up". IDK if that' just them hedging bets, or they don't know what sort of comp they're really turning down (for one thing, potential bonus structure that can go from 25% of base to 50% of base), or they're scared of the responsibility anyway, or what. But to *me* turning down a potential 25% bump so that you don't have to put on slacks is weird.

I also think that, historically, there's some class stuff and some sneetchism going on.

Going back to the "Rubenesque" physique being considered attractive, that was rooted in the fact that only the rich had the time and money to get fat. Today, only the rich have the time and money to go to the gym, so slimmer physiques are the hotness.

When you look at any historically working-class or lower-class group, there's often a subset of young men, in particular, that develop a price in appearance that's rooted in not looking like their working-class brethren while still maintaining a unique look. Rude Boys, Zoot-Suiters, Rhinestone Cowboys... even ghetto culture is about showing off how much your outfit costs vs. how cheap your rent is. As a response, it's not uncommon today to see people riding around in supercars and living in mansions with full-sleeve tattoos, raggedy clothes, etc. Just like only the rich can afford to go to the gym, only the rich can dress however they want, so they dress like hobos to prove it.

And the pendulum always swings. The masses start emulating the rich (star belly machine), and the rich change the game (plain belly machine). What's the new thing, from Succession, "quiet wealth" or something like that? The rich aren't dressing like hobos now, they're dressing in very understated, simple clothes that just happen to cost hundreds of dollars. the "succession hat" alone is like a plain ball cap that costs $500 or something?

I read one article that said that one sign of upper-middle-class-wealth was having many, single-purpose, bags for various things (one for work, one for the beach, one for vacation, one for around town, etc.). I think that excludes gun enthusiast.
    It cost a lot of money to look poor. Its like camper life it cost a lot of money to live homeless.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Alembic;1531539]
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I think you're taking the wrong lesson from this.]

No, I get it. I just prefer to create an opinion of someone and be judged by what is said and done.

You do you, casual or biz, dress for success, and all that...
    How you dress, or don't, for circumstances and occasions is part of what you say and do.

Don’t Roll Your Eyes: Looking the Part Could Land You That Job

Different jobs favor certain looks, new research shows. Applying to be a programmer? Better grab a pair of glasses.

From the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/career...hare_permalink

Site Supporter
    My business is in part persuading people to do what my client wants them to do. If I am in a personal or video meeting to accomplish that purpose and I don’t look like I take the meeting seriously and respect the person with whom I am meeting, that is a failure to do my job.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I do see jeans as acceptable business attire. depending on the jeans and depending on what else is worn. Today's office attire: dark wash, slim fit jeans with a button front white shirt and sweater vest, and dress shoes. I am comfortable but look professional if a client unexpectedly drops by.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    "I do see jeans as acceptable business attire."

This statement is entirely business dependent.

In my business, jeans are never acceptable business attire.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List