Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

Business attire what happened?

I know standards have become lax in the US on business attire but when have flip flops or sandals been a part of business wear? I have seen so many flip flips/sandals the past 2 months to drive me nuts. Normally it would be women but I am now seeing men do it. Mostly the metro asexuals that are running around. Also skinny jeans and t-shirts are not business attire. I do not care if they are $100 dollar pair of jeans. Women it is not okay to wear a T-shirt with a skirt. Wear a blouse a T-shirt of your family reunion from 3 years back is not appropriate.

Where did we go wrong? Why is it at my old age of 35 that I wear suits because of meetings that are going on and those last minute meetings elsewhere that has a standard of dress at their facility. We went to Lockheed for a conference and my boss was not allowed in because he did not have on a coat and tie and he was not military. He wore a polo. On Fridays I will dress down in a Polo or shirt, tie and slacks if I do not have meetings. That is appropriate attire in my opinion.

The new thing around here is polo shirt of some other agency that you have a shirt from and 5.11/cargo pants? It would be okay if it was from the agency you are working for because it is who is paying you but not because you worked for XYZ three years back. If you were actually doing physical labor you can wear cargos and a polo since that is standard field uniform here. If you are not doing any of that wear at least a shirt (tucked in), tie, slacks, and comb your hair if you are a man. Business attire of slacks, skirt, blouse minimum for ladies with closed toed shoes.

Lastly those long finger nails for ladies {and some men who have hygiene issues}, really? 2 inch nails scare the crap out of me and I might have to complain about you having a deadly weapon at work in DC. One they are ugly, two we are not in the ghetto and three if you are a hooker as a part time job do not bring it to the office.

People wonder why they are not taken seriously. Wear appropriate business attire and people might listen to you. I get invited to meetings by the Senior Exective who is in charge of my division that my boss does not get invited to because I know what I am talking about and I look like I belong in those circles.

I was always taught you dress for the next job not for the job you currently have. Am I just too old fashion?

Amen...preach it brother. I get lectured that I'm dressing up to much.

Don't be PAR destroy PAR and set a new level..isn't that what we strive for at PF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

See if your organization would hire an outside consultant on dress code and fashion consultation. I know that SouthNarc has some definite ideas on this.

Site Supporter
    I wear a polo shirt, or a short sleeve button down, with a pair of khaki pants every day. I'm not customer facing, so it really shouldn't matter as long as I'm presentable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

What happened to proper grammar?!
    #RESIST

I really do not mind Polos as long as the shirt is tucked in. Granted some IT guys have an issue with that. I was just tought if there is a collar on a shirt you tuck it in.

Site Supporter
    I don't tuck.

You also said presentable. Just I know in my professional environment that to me is unprofessional.

I'll get all racist/sexist here:

Best dressed professionals - Japanese men in their late 50s to early 70s, european women.

Worst dressed "professionals" - Japanese men in their late twenties to late 30s.

Source of data: international conferences attended over the last 4 years.

You are entitled to your opinion. I have to say you are spot on in the 50's-70's. Have not seen many of the other age group in my travels.

User Tag List