Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Be wary of Doctors wearing ties. Saw a program on it years ago out of England. Google doctors ties infections or germs.

My favorite title "Neck ties as vectors for nosocomial infection"

Think about how often men will dry clean their ties.
    I remember that study. I also remember those Brits always wore the same tie daily. I wear scrubs, with running shoes daily at work. The community standard of medicine in Phoenix allows for this. On the east coast, I probably would stick out. If I wear a shirt and tie with white coat, my colleagues and patients would ask me if: 1) If I had a TV interview; or 2) If I had a date with my wife; or 3) Do I have to go court (j/k). My kid brother who lives in Seattle and is also a physician was shocked that I dressed this way daily. He wears coat and tie daily and changes to scrubs only to operate. My older brother who is also a doc in Southern CA dresses in the middle (business casual). I guess you just got to know the market that you are serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I remember that study. I also remember those Brits always wore the same tie daily. I wear scrubs, with running shoes daily at work. The community standard of medicine in Phoenix allows for this. On the east coast, I probably would stick out. If I wear a shirt and tie with white coat, my colleagues and patients would ask me if: 1) If I had a TV interview; or 2) If I had a date with my wife; or 3) Do I have to go court (j/k). My kid brother who lives in Seattle and is also a physician was shocked that I dressed this way daily. He wears coat and tie daily and changes to scrubs only to operate. My older brother who is also a doc in Southern CA dresses in the middle (business casual). I guess you just got to know the market that you are serving.
    My experience with oncology Docs. Dedicated Oncology Docs in Dallas, at Moffitt, and my PCP doc wear business casual, unless they are doing something that requires them to wear scrubs. In fact even with the nurses and PAs at Moffitt unless you were in a position where you dealt with doing medical procedures day in and day out business casual was the norm.

OTOH at my PCP, and at my Dallas Outpatient oncology facility scrubs were the norm for nurses and techs, except on Friday when they "dressed down" and wore jeans.

Also I should mention some of the newer scrubs for women aren't just a cloth bag to cover their body, some are well designed to complement their bodies, like the Grey's Anatomy brand.

I wear scrubs, with running shoes daily at work. The community standard of medicine in Phoenix allows for this. On the east coast, I probably would stick out.
    Depends. Most of the ER docs in my area wear scrubs and sneakers. Most of the docs on general medical floors will wear slacks/tie/white coat. ICU is a mix, from what I've seen.....

The nurses in my hospital system GMFs wear very formal, classic style nursing outfits. The ER, trauma and ICU nurses wear a mix of scrubs and what I consider pajamas....basically if it's solid blue it goes.

From my observations, the floors most concerned about outfits seems to correlate directly to the amount of sharps left in bed sheets, undressed wounds, and missing/incomplete doctors orders. The pajama crowd gets stuff done in a stellar fashion, and all around (both docs and nurses) seem to be actual human beings capable of holding normal social interactions.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Regardless of what you wear, buy clothes that fit your body or get them tailored. Even khakis and a polo shirt look better fitted without the pants legs puddled over the shoes. Most men wear clothes that are way too big. But this may be a feature for you CCW guys.

Now for my rant. Every man should own a suit or at least a jacket and tie for funerals.

I guess you just got to know the market that you are serving.
    Certainly that, and there is some component of mutual selection involved, which I think benefits both parties.

Brits also looked at banning long sleeves on the inpatient services, which I think is a reasonable idea.

Yes I agree. I normally wear my company's polo and a pair of dockers. Boots of course if I have a formal meeting a suit.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I don't tuck, harder to get to my pistol

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Student

Link to twitter thread about points of articulation on tailoring

By derek guy @dieworkwear
    Some of you may appreciate this.
    https://nitter.nl/dieworkwear/status...501824917504#m

Site Supporter
    Great necropost. The stuff re the Spanish King was fashion gold.

Johnny Carson and then Prince now King Charles who were always made to look well in their clothes.

PS--- the line --- "Isn't the attorney's rule of thumb to never wear a suit that costs less than a billable hour" is new to me.
    I will own it and use it forever!
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Great necropost. The stuff re the Spanish King was fashion gold.
    This.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List