Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    A polo is a t-shirt with a collar. Personally I don't consider it business casual.
    Business casual to me is suit and tie.

Then take off the tie.

That's it

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I am, as my wife affectionately (I think) described it, a "flat cap bitch."
    I like them, also. I have a couple of Harley branded ones, but these are the next ones I'm getting:

https://www.bostonscally.com/collect...y-8-panel-grey

https://www.bostonscally.com/collect...-cap-craft-tan
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I'm an old guy, but I won't wear a suit and tie anymore, period. I don't care if people talk about me going to a funeral in my everyday clothes. I am what I am, and a suit isn't going to change that. I've always had the opinion that anyone who wears a suit and tie to work when they don't have to, like the owner of a business, well, he's someone I probably won't like. That's putting it nicely for this forum. I never understood why anyone would want to wear one. Still don't.

Site Supporter
    H

I get it. Some folks are not suit folks.

When I have those folks as witnesses in court, I see how they dressed to meet me for witness prep. If they have on clean jeans/shoes/collared shirt or better, I ask them to wear a similar outfit to court because I want them as comfortable as possible.

If they look less than above (and I did not literally pull them out of the field etc.) I ask them what they would wear to church or a wedding or a funeral if they were to go. The answer is usually clean jeans/pants and a collared shirt.

I then ask if they could use one more pair of jeans/pants and a collared shirt. They say yes. I suggest they go to walmart/target etc and get such and wear that outfit to court.

They do and life goes on.

I am an admitted clothes horse who likes the vintage/sale/thrift store/ebay hunt to boot. I work in the last bastion of jacket and tie land in both my profession and work location.

Having said all of that, what many folks (particularly those who have had some home training and should know better) have really gotten away from is simply wearing clothes that are clean and fit reasonably well.

Taking to its logical extension, things that should be pressed are not. Things that should be shined are not etc. It is a lack of attention to detail that tends to show up across their lives.

On that note…today is seersucker thurs such that I will wear said blazer to the office this am.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    On that note…today is seersucker thurs such that I will wear said blazer to the office this am.
    A bit of thread drift, but less so than in other threads where I wanted to bring this up.

You and I work in the same field, though I’m on the private and (mostly) civil side and have the luxury of working in a casual office and only putting on a coat and tie on days I have court. Those days are fairly common, though.

Are you carrying AIWB under a two piece suit/blazer, and if so how is that working? My solution so far has been an AIWB LCR under a three piece, but that sucks in the summer when I’d rather be wearing chinos and a cotton blazer. Obviously the gun is coming off before I go through security but I’m trying to have it on me the rest of the day, and that “gun off/gun on” routine nixes tuckable options including the Enigma.

Site Supporter
    Shooting attire? From the Daily Beast news feed:

A naked woman got out of a car and started shooting at passing vehicles in California on Tuesday, authorities said. No one was hurt during the bizarre incident on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and the woman, who has not been identified, was taken into custody. “I heard the pop, like I saw her walking around and I heard [pop], and I was like ‘Oh, that’s a gun, that’s actually a gun,’” witness Michael Crawford told ABC 7. He added that he realized he had to get out of the area, thinking “We’re sitting ducks, we have nothing but a windshield protecting us.” Before opening fire, the woman had earlier yelled at drivers while holding a knife, the TV station reports. Officers with the California Highway Patrol were able to de-escalate the situation and the woman was taken to a hospital for physical and psychiatric evaluation.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Elwin:

Invited thread drift/ramble follows:

I aiwb a G17 RDS/G 22 RDS 95% of the time. Before that it was a g35 or a g19 iron sighted pistol 90% of the time.

If I am wearing a suit jacket/sportscoat, that is the cover garment. Post COVID, Labor Day to Memorial Day, we are back to jacket and tie, mon - thurs, fri is business casual unless you have court. During the summer it is the same as fridays during the year.

If I am dressed more casually, I typically wear an untucked polo or collared shirt. When there is a chill in the air but I am still casual, I tuck the shirt in and I use a fleece/sweater vest.

My gun on/off most recently has me unclipping/unthreading the holster and putting the whole thing into a lock box. I used to just do the gun but have stress cracked a number of kydex holsters sweat guards doing that. I like a sweat guard because it protects my dress shirts. My holster is alway mated to a purpose designed gun belt be it 2 ply leather, Wilderness, Tenicor, Mastermind Tactics etc.

I fully acknowledge it is hot and/or a PITA sometimes to effectively conceal a full sized RDS gun. I simply buy/use purpose designed gear and dress around the gun in its configuration because I shoot such a gun demonstrably better than a smaller, more concealable one. I am old school and still wear undershirts under my dress shirts, even on the hottest of days.

When I am in the immediate area of the courthouse, dressed the way I am dressed, with my PIV card around my neck, I am routinely perceived to be a plain clothed LEO such that if somebody "sees" my AIWBed pistol, it is not particularly remarkable.

I have done some variation of the above for the better part of my prosecutorial career (25+ yrs) when authorized to do so.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I need to experiment with use of the jacket as the sole cover garment. I haven't done that yet. Doesn't help if I want to take the jacket off in the office but options are nice (and that's one difference in my job, is I don't work full time in a secured NPE - I spend most of my days concealing a gun in an office where carrying it is legal but I don't want my coworkers to know about it). And it is mostly a hot weather issue, since the three-piece or sweaters under a sport coat are options in the winter.

Our business casual approaches are the same - I've been working on doing the untucked shirt "right" (shirt designed to be worn untucked bought in a size that fits well) to facilitate carrying a full size gun in hot weather without looking like a slob. As soon as October hits I'm all sweaters all the time.

Site Supporter
    My view on wearing a suit to a wedding or funeral is that it shows respect. If everybody there dresses like they grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in Appalachia, then wearing sneakers, a ball cap, and a jockey strap might be the norm. I've been to a couple funerals where fights broke out between family members. One of these was at a relative's funeral. This bunch fell out in 1940 over a drunk wringing necks off of chickens for the hell of it. They're still fighting.

I’m the CEO of a consulting firm I started years ago. My rules? If you are not meeting with people outside the company I don’t care what you wear as long as you don’t wear any sort of political or graphic tee.

Want to show up in shorts and sandals? I don’t care as long ad you have great performance.

Skinny jeans and a plain black t shirt? Again, I don’t care. I care about performance.

User Tag List