Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Business attire what happened?

I lived in a Colorado ski town for 25 years, sold million dollar condos in blue jeans and a button down. a tie and jacket would have been laughed out of town.

To paraphrase, appearances don't matter, performance does.

I’m wrapping up a 36 year career as a wildland firefighter. Happy to say, I’ve spent more on boots than suits over the years.

Site Supporter
    “To paraphrase, appearances don't matter, performance does.”

I would beg to differ.

From officer safety to advocacy in the courtroom- appearances ABSOLUTELY MATTER.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I’m wrapping up a 36 year career as a wildland firefighter. Happy to say, I’ve spent more on boots than suits over the years.
    FWIW- 20 years as a fighter pilot, and 10 so far as an airline pilot.
    I’ve also spent more on boots (flight, combat, hiking, and western) than on suits.
    But I still have two good suits pressed and hanging in the closet for the occasions mentioned above. Worn them for weddings, funerals, depositions and trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I lived in a Colorado ski town for 25 years, sold million dollar condos in blue jeans and a button down. a tie and jacket would have been laughed out of town.

To paraphrase, appearances don't matter, performance does.
    This may have already been shared here, but I think you're taking the wrong lesson from this.

To wit:

Source: The Oatmeal: Minor Differences, Part 5

(IOW, appearances do matter, you're just affecting a different appearance, one preferred by the culture in which you live.)
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

I still find it so odd that so many people seem to get so worked up about their need for casual, or simply non-dress/professional attire. Maybe because I used to think that way myself and just don't anymore.

Headed to a funeral tomorrow. Glad to be back down the 180Lbs I was at when I bought my black suit.

Thinking of going off script and skipping the tie…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    CSW- Admittedly I am a pretty easy 44L of the rack.

Having said that, one can get a majority wool/blue blazer/jacket off of ebay on for well under 100.00

https://www.ebay.com/sch/3001/i.html...on=1000%7C1500

Pants can be had off of amazon. if i lived where you did, i would likely bracket the size i thought I was w one bigger/smaller and send back the two that did not fit.
    Our 'fancy' clothing store was J.C. Penney, until it closed. It mostly catered to the tourists, and they didn't want Penney, when they had higher quality clothing from whence they came.

I'll be attending a wedding soon, so I'll need city clothes. I'll take the trip, and get what's needed. It's funny, because just before the inception of this thread, I was saying to the Mrs. that I should get a blazer, and a good shirt. Still have a nice pair of grey slacks, and a classic pair of black oxford shoes.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

deleted.
    Last edited by Trigger; 12-03-2023 at 10:11 AM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I still find it so odd that so many people seem to get so worked up about their need for casual, or simply non-dress/professional attire.
    People have opinions on things. In addition to wardrobe/attire, you'll find folks get worked up about all sorts of other things, too. Like 1911s/Glocks, manual transmissions, the correct apparatus for turning meat into BBQ, power tools, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

IOW, appearances do matter, you're just affecting a different appearance, one preferred by the culture in which you live.

Its interesting reading this thread. I spent most of my life not caring much about how I dressed, practical and what I liked was the main things. Mostly Carhartts, loggers, and some sort of heavy solid flannel Woolrich or Bean shirt. Later, when building houses and "going to the bank to beg for money" Id wear nice clothes, and noticed more women flirting and complimentary comments in general. I started wearing nicer clothes just to go to town for basic stuff when i wasnt working or getting building materials. A friend sold some vests at a garage sale, I bought 4 for one money, one fit really well, grey wool herringbone, 4 pocket, well made....I started wearing it a lot, and getting more comments from various people, besides really liking the pockets. It started to be weird to leave the house not dressed well, like I wasnt dressed properly to go out, rather than "dressed like youre on the way to Alaska" as someone put it in the past.

Grey wool western cut sport coat, black levis, nice boots, vest, black silk scarf with silver slide,...it was just right to go see the Glenn Miller Orchestra in what was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. I noticed hardly anyone else was dressed up much, and quite a few looks from women, some of which were dressed well for the event. Funny how some wear the nicer stuff most of their life and are happy to get away from it and some are the opposite.

I have zero "nice shoes", nobody I know of in the west wears them that Ive noticed, nice boots (cowboy in case thats not clear) seem the norm, even for many women including governors wives for many occasions. The "culture where you live" is a thing. Wearing whats normal for other parts of the country seems as foreign to me as whats normal for my area probably does for most people.

Edit: Dad had some nice clothes, suits, nice shoes. I realized Id never wear most of it and it gave some away, the rest all went to goodwill.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-03-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List