Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NRA Range - Plate Rack Challenge

lets hear more details, looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    lets hear more details, looks like fun.
    Alright.

It's a mano-a-mano match-up system. Everyone pays $5 for one entry (or multiples of $5 for more entries, if they feel they'll need them), and then the names are written down on a list. First two go head-to-head to shoot down their steel (with mandatory mag change before shooting the popper). Winner stays on the line, and the next person on the list comes up for their chance. The loser can buy another entry for $5 (or uses another of their pre-purchased entries) for another chance, or they can call it a night. The winner can opt to take a break without losing his entry, and he'll simply go back up when his name comes up on the list again. The names/entries are cycled through until there are no more people interested in buying back in, and there remains one winner.

The revolver shooters have their own sublist, and are periodically put on the line when one of their names comes up on the main list (there are far more semi-auto shooters than wheelgunners, so wheelgunners basically cycle through their list once, and then the semi-autos are back on the line).

So it's a fairly simple game, and the payouts are pretty decent, though the top-placers don't do much more than break-even on the night, when ammo and transportation costs are factored in.

And the matchups can be completely one-sided, too, both in terms of equipment and skills: one guy showed up with his Open Gun (I didn't get a good look at it, but it appeared to be a double-stack 1911 with compensator and red dot sight) and he was really fast with it, a (married) couple of wheelgunners had 8-shot S&W Performance Center N-Frames wearing red dot sights, and another guy who basically lived, breathed, and slept USPSA/3-gun brought his speed and solid skills (and his race belt/equipment). There were a lot of people who might shoot casually/for fun and wanted to try their hand at a 'simple game', and a lot of them were decent, too...but when one of them would be pitted against one of the obviously higher-level shooters, it would basically be a foregone conclusion who would win.

But you can't choose your opponents, so them's the breaks.

All in all, I think it was a highly entertaining night, and one with a lot more testosterone and bravado than the usual KSTG or Bullseye/International disciplines that I shoot. It seems a lot of shooters brought their friends, so the shooters naturally broke up into their circles of friends and there was a good bit of good-natured hootin' and hollerin' at the matchups (and also a good bit of clucking and grumbling if someone was bested by a person outside of their group of friends, heh).
    "WHAT?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW RIDICULOUS YOUR GUN IS!" - TLG

There's a similar deal here in Connecticut at Bridgeport shooting range every other Tuesday. Two racks, man vs man, 35' out. There's 5 or 6 qualifying rounds then the group is split up into A, B, and C classes. From there is double elimination and the winner of each class gets a point. Most points at the end of the season wins a gun. This year it's an M&P 15-22.

Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    There's a similar deal here in Connecticut at Bridgeport shooting range every other Tuesday. Two racks, man vs man, 35' out. There's 5 or 6 qualifying rounds then the group is split up into A, B, and C classes. From there is double elimination and the winner of each class gets a point. Most points at the end of the season wins a gun. This year it's an M&P 15-22.
    That's what we ought to do - qualifying rounds. Would level the playing field a bit.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I didn't see this event listed anywhere coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I didn't see this event listed anywhere coming up.
    It was one line, hiding amongs the other match listings on Cody's local-match megathread. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...l=1#post180979

Edit: I went back a few posts from the above-linked post, and apparently the event on Dec.22 was tentatively a competition skills practice...until that linked post was made--that was the first time the Plate Rack Challenge was listed.

User Tag List