Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigs and Lube

Keep on track with Lubriplate, you can avoid the carcinogens and other nasties for the most part in the auto greases/oils. (and save allot of money)

Just experiment with what NLGI grade (thickness) you are comfortable with.

NLGI grade 0 - SFL-0 and also 105 greases you can find a Brownells and Midway. Slightly thinner than the expensive TW25b. [[ I use SFL as it is food grade and non-toxic ]]
    NLGI grade 1 - SFL-1 can be found at Weldwarehouse for cheap ($10). Food grade also. It only comes in a tube though. TW25b is grade 1.
    NLGI grade 2 - 130-A is actually grade 2.5 (what you call thick.) and can also be found at Brownells and Midway. You know I tried Mobile1 grease, it is grade 2 and I though it was too thick.

Grant Cunningham likes Lubriplate, Flork likes Lubriplate, I like Lubriplate. And it is cheap.

I've been toying with a move to NLGI grade 1 or 2, but so far see no reason to. In fact, I'm going to experiment with MPro7 LPX oil instead of grease.

Yes, over thinking it, but it is fun right?
    Last edited by campbed; 12-21-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by campbed View Post
    NLGI grade 2 - 130-A is actually grade 2.5 (what you call thick.) and can also be found at Brownells and Midway. You know I tried Mobile1 grease, it is grade 2 and I though it was too thick.
    I agree grade 2 seems too thick but it's worked well for me so far. I have a ton of oh lubriplate laying around also so I'll make the switch on my practice gun and see how it goes. Pretty sure judging by others feedback in this thread it will run fine also.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    How are you applying this grease, JV?
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/grease-a...ion-brush.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by campbed View Post
    you can avoid the carcinogens and other nasties for the most part in the auto greases/oils. (and save allot of money)
    Yep, I try to avoid a lot of the harsh gun cleaning chemicals too.
    Last edited by JV_; 12-21-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    Most NAPA Auto Parts will carry Lubriplate No 105 in stock. It's where I got mine.
    Yes, it's quite common with engine assembly because of the zinc oxide.

I was expecting something different in here from the title.

I have not been able to tell much difference between the greases I have tried so far. I really liked the supplied grease.

Ouch. That's... expensive, for acid brushes. Here's a multi-year supply for 15.5c/brush.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Desig...dp/B000OUXAAI/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Ouch. That's... expensive, for acid brushes.
    Probably so, but a higher unit cost is worth it when you only need one or two, rather than a whole box. I've been using the same one for the past 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Probably so, but a higher unit cost is worth it when you only need one or two, rather than a whole box. I've been using the same one for the past 4+ years.
    Heh. I'm at the other end of the continuum -- I use acid brushes for a bunch of different purposes in my workshop, ranging from crevice cleaning to applying various cutting fluids on the mill. I might go through a box that size in 12-18 months depending on what sort of projects come up.

Personally, I generally use laboratory swabs to brush on grease. If I need a more precise application, I'll snap the head off of one end and shave the exposed stick end to a flat wedge a few mm across. If I need more, I'll fuzz out the cotton head and use it like a grease mop.

I do have a grease-appropriate syringe coming in an order from Brownell's, though, because I've recently worked on a few guns for friends where that would have definitely come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Personally, I generally use laboratory swabs to brush on grease.
    Q-tips… the cheap ones, from Dollar Tree.

Between gun maintenance (can't beat them for those nooks and crannies), keeping the primer slide area of the Dillon clean, and general workbench use, I go through at least one package of these per month.

The lab swabs are great too. I just recently scored a ton of these when the DNA section tossed a bunch that had passed their expiration date. No free lunch, however… they're individually packaged...

User Tag List