Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's the new 229?

How's the new 229?

Does anyone here have a new 229R, or 229-1 or 229 E2 or whatever they call it this week?

Have they figured out their QC issues on this gun yet?

Site Supporter
    I had one in 9mm, it ran just fine. I sold it to FredM because I prefer a 226. He still shoots it and it's trouble-free.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Have they figured out their QC issues on this gun yet?
    It's a moving target. Just because they're running now doesn't mean that new guns will be running well in 1 year.

The issue with them now is the long, MIM extractor....some folks refuse to buy Sig's fitted with these. Also, they have switched to some cheapo OEM mags, so if you get one, pick up some older mags or Mec-Gars.

To my knowledge, the current production 229s, and the M11 thing, use the -1, 15 round magazine. This magazine is wider than the 228 magazines, and earlier 229s (using 13 round 228 magazines as standard), and won't fit in a 228 or earlier 229. The OEM -1 magazine is made by Mecgar.

While Fred obviously had a bum extractor, I haven't had a lick of problem with 226 and 229 pistols with the long MIM extractor through many thousands of rounds. That said, I decided to hold onto the top end from a MK25 I have, as it uses the classic extractor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a little over 1000 rounds through my new P229R.
    It functions fine but is hitting about 6" high at 25 yards.
    I'm waiting on new sights before I really start shooting it seriously.
    I've had no problems with the "cheapo" Checkmate magazines, the majority of the rounds have been through them and they look exactly like my MecGar except for the "Made in Italy" stamping.
    I also have several Checkmate magazines for my SigPro 2022 that function fine.
    I'd probably be a little more excited about the P229R if it shot closer to POA straight out of the box (and there weren't so many MIM long extractor horror stories).

Both Checkmate and MecGar are 229-1 OEM magazine manufacturers.
    Mine came with a MecGar in the box, but the 7 extra mags I've purchased in Sig OEM packaging are Checkmate mfg..
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I have a little over 1000 rounds through my new P229R.
    It functions fine but is hitting about 6" high at 25 yards.
    I'm waiting on new sights before I really start shooting it seriously.
    I would contact Sig, explain the pistol isn't regulated with the supplied sights, and ask them how they are going to fix it. Shouldn't be hard for them to just give you another 229 top end, since they have caliber exchange kits. I have 2 229 9mm top ends, and 1 .40 top end, between two pistols, and all are well regulated.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My new 226 and 229 E2s (long extractor) have been good. I'm happy with them enough to put all my other handguns in the long term storage safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would contact Sig, explain the pistol isn't regulated with the supplied sights, and ask them how they are going to fix it. Shouldn't be hard for them to just give you another 229 top end,
    I would if this one didn't make itty bitty groups at 25 yards.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While Fred obviously had a bum extractor
    Just to clarify, that was with his 226, not 229.

My gun has been less than stellar in a couple areas

1. the gun shoots about 5" high at 25 yards which is annoying but I have actually learned to like it

2. it wont feed wwb ammo

3. the extractor claw broke somewhere between 4,000-5,000 rounds

The gun did go 2k without a problem, the first 2k it had multiple double feeds while using wwb. I am actually interested to see if it will feed wwb once I get a new extractor installed from sig

User Tag List