Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger GP100 Match Champion

I agree, Caleb. I've got one of each; the GP100 has a magnificent trigger job, but the Security Six's is just a bit...better. A bit smoother, with absolutely no perceptible hitches/grit/hesitation/stutters. If it sounds like I'm damning the GP100's job, I'm honestly not-its quite good in its own right, but the Security Six's is clearly...better. I have no idea who performed the work on the Security Six, as I got it used from a reputable gunshop, and also subsequently had Ruger thoroughly go through it. The only thing I've done is have a couple of the chambers polished, all of the chambers chamfered, and replaced the Ruger Target grips it came with with first a set of Hogues, and ultimately with a set of Trausch grips that the late Jacques Trausch was kind enough to customize for me.

For overall handing dynamics I'm slightly preferential towards the GP100 (mine has the full lug and compact grip).

Best, Jon

I picked up my Match Champion over the weekend and I wanted to post some pics and get some feedback.... The gun seems pretty crude to me.... is this normal for a Ruger? There seems to be a lot of flashing / tool marks / even what appears to be some rust.......

It's hard to see in the pic but the frame is bent from the sight install....

Tool marks, etc. are typical Ruger. "Rust" is probably remnants of the finishing process, or the shipping preservative. Judicious application of Mother's Mag Polish will remove both if desired-the exterior marks should be fairly easy to clean up-the inner stuff I simply wouldn't worry about-it's a "Ruger sort of thing.". If the frame window is bent by the sight installation, you might want to take that up with Ruger, but as long as the cylinder's movement isn't impeded, I doubt if it's of any operational significance-but even so, it shouldn't have occurred.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by S391 View Post
    I picked up my Match Champion over the weekend...
    Mind divulging what you paid?

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

I had a sad that you got yours before I got mine.

I paid $739... I traded a few phone calls and emails with the folks at Ruger this morning and it's going back in the morning. The gentleman I talked with said he has never seen one "so rough"..... I'll be interested to see what happens.

Caleb, how do you like the action job Clark did on your Security Six?

Caleb, how do you like the action job Clark did on your Security Six?
    It's like rubbing your finger over an angel's [redacted because Caleb has a dirty mind]..

In all seriousness, it's really good. I had them leave the action heavier so it would crack factory primers of foreign origin, and it's still light years better than anything else. Those Clark guys know their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Those Clark guys know their stuff.
    I don't think you are the first to say that either.

-shooter

Way back in my PPC days, I saw two Clark S----- Six PPC 1500 guns with bull barrel and Bomar rib. The blue one was about as slick as a Colt or Smith. The stainless was no different from stock that I could tell. I might have thought it was a stock gun with Clark barrel screwed in except that it was a prize gun at a state championship.

is this normal for a Ruger? There seems to be a lot of flashing / tool marks / even what appears to be some rust.......
    A couple years ago, I was at FLGS looking at a stainless GP100, opened the cylinder and asked the the salesman, who is a gun guy, if there were really machine filings still between the extractor star and the cylinder. He looked at it and replied "ah yup."
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List