Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first N frame 629-4

My first N frame 629-4

I always wanted a 44 mag. I wanted a woods gun as a beater. All cylinders lock up tight and no end shake. $863 with a Burris 2X scope,rings and mount. I will sell the scope setup. I need to order some 240gr cast heads.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Nice! I recommend that you stay away from rhino-roller-level loads with it. A mid-range load (240-grain bullet at about 1000 fps) would be fine as a woods-bumming load, will penetrate a whitetail side-to-side, and would probably work for a Texas heart shot as well. A heavy .44 Special load would be in the same ballpark.

Nice gun. Check out ebay for some ahrend grips before they get even more expensive.

Fine wood grips look great. Rubber grips are vastly superior for maintaining grip and not slipping under recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Fine wood grips look great. Rubber grips are vastly superior for maintaining grip and not slipping under recoil.
    Ive found good wood grips to manage recoil as good as rubber.

That is hardly what I would call a "Beater"!

If the scope mount had a rail, you might want to keep it for future use, as a red dot mounted on a handgun like that is loads of fun.

BTW, 10 grains of Unique and a 240/250 hard cast SWC is your friend!

I'd definitely keep the scope and mounting hardware. No telling when you might want to use it for load development or hunting or?

Grips are extremely personal. What works for one, may or may not work for some one else. Wood grips and open backstraps hammer the bone at the base of my thumb.

I've found that, FOR ME, the Hogue S&W 500 X Frame Tamers are the most comfortable. The fit K, L, N and X Frame S&W ROUND BUTT frames. They look big, but I don't have large hands and the work fine for me. In addition, if it matters to you, they don't weigh as much. Here they are on 2 3/4" M69 L Frame .44 Mag, S&W 329, and a sibling of the OPs 6" M629

Comparison of Pachmyr Diamond Pros and Hogue X Frame Tamers (Hogues on right)

FWIW,

Paul

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    BTW, 10 grains of Unique and a 240/250 hard cast SWC is your friend!
    An oldie but a goodie! When I finish shooting up my loudenboomers I'm going to match that load but with BE-86.

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    Grips are extremely personal. What works for one, may or may not work for some one else. Wood grips and open backstraps hammer the bone at the base of my thumb.
    Definitely true. I'm 6'1" with average hands for my height and need the open backstrap to shoot double action. The old "small" Pachmayr Presentations for N frames are close enough to work for me.

If you hold onto to the scope and mount you've got most of a short barrel rifle, without inviting the ATF to the party.

Site Supporter
    My first N-frame was the M28-2 I bought as a Deputy Sheriff recruit in Aug of 1973, for the princely sum of $97.50. The biggest gun shop in Tucson, AZ gave us a police discount even though we hadn't graduated yet.

Except for the first week of firearms training, when the academy staff made us shoot single action (to learn trigger control?), I shot that gun exclusively DAO. Also, except for the 38 wad cutters the academy provided, I always shot full power Magnum reloads: 150g Sierra HC over 14g 2400 for carry and 158g cast SWC over 8.5g of Unique for practice.

I recognized early on that the PPC style training I got in the academy did not prepare me for a real armed confrontation so I practiced every week, at least on my days off and occasionally in the middle of the work week. I don't remember how many rounds I put through that 28 while I was still on probation but it was over 1K. Enough that that particular N-frame developed end-shake, failure to carry up, timing problems, and a nagging hitch in the trigger that only happened occasionally. While it was at the gunsmith I started carrying my second N-frame, a used M-58 I had bought because it had a wonderful DA trigger stroke.

I was still carrying the 41 Mag when I got off probation and the department decided to authorize semi-auto duty guns. I qualified with the 45 ACP GM I had recently bought and never looked back for duty weapons. However being a gun type person, many more N-frames passed through my hands and there's still four in the safe now. A 1938 Heavy Duty with a 5" barrel, a 1952-3 Heavy Duty with a 4" barrel, and a custom built, blue steel 45 ACP Mountain Gun. Finally there's the 4" 325 PD with the cracked frame. Can't shoot it and S&W didn't want to fix it. Not all N-frame stories are happy.

Dave

User Tag List