Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver reload par times

Revolver reload par times

Although I did a ton of reloads at the Revolver Roundup, I didn’t time any of them specifically. So from the group’s experience - what’s a reasonable par time for reloading a snubby from:

1. A speedloader on the belt, and

2. A speed strip in the pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Although I did a ton of reloads at the Revolver Roundup, I didn’t time any of them specifically. So from the group’s experience - what’s a reasonable par time for reloading a snubby from:

1. A speedloader on the belt, and

2. A speed strip in the pocket?
    There’s a whole lotta variety in speedloaders and a whole lotta variety in belt carriers. Something with a flap on the top and a twisty loader? 3.5-4 seconds shot-to-shot is probably reasonable par time for someone with a very basic level of training.

Open top loader pouch and an easy-to-grab pushloader? 2.5-3 seconds is a reasonable par time window. Guns with full length ejector rods and smooth cylinders are faster (think the older Colt D-frame snubs), and short ejector rods on modern production J-frames (rougher chambers) typically make the fastest switch-hand reloading technique (FBI) unreliable.

Speedstrip from the pocket is not even worth timing unless you are doing a two-round emergency load. Even then, it’s slow.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

At one time I was shooting a lot of revolver in IDPA. With a 4" K-Frame, Safariland Comp lll speed loaders and an open top carrier I averaged 2.5 to 3 seconds. Snubby is going to be a lot slower.

@jetfire would probably be able to provide some good input here.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    There’s a whole lotta variety in speedloaders and a whole lotta variety in belt carriers. Something with a flap on the top and a twisty loader? 3.5-4 seconds shot-to-shot is probably reasonable par time for someone with a very basic level of training.

Open top loader pouch and an easy-to-grab pushloader? 2.5-3 seconds is a reasonable par time window. Guns with full length ejector rods and smooth cylinders are faster (think the older Colt D-frame snubs), and short ejector rods on modern production J-frames (rougher chambers) typically make the fastest switch-hand reloading technique (FBI) unreliable.

Speedstrip from the pocket is not even worth timing unless you are doing a two-round emergency load. Even then, it’s slow.
    Interesting. I noticed a full second difference in my times between HKS and Comp II speedloaders as well.

I like the perceived robustness of HKS and had invested in several. Nevertheless, the comparative results were so consistent that I couldn't conclude anything other than the Comp was a second faster. Fortunately, the Comps aren't expensive and they fit the same holders.

From a competitive point of view, 3-ish seconds with a comp 2 from the belt is pretty solid. I used to practice reloads using wadcutters so anything less than perfect alignment wouldn't work. It made a huge difference when using round or truncated bullets in matches. I can reload an L frame faster than a K frame by about .5 seconds. If I use my one and only Jet Loader I can reload a J frame as fast as a K frame.

From a defensive standpoint, the reloads should be administrative in nature.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Thanks, all, for the replies.

Part of my interest is adapting par times in drills and qualification courses (typically based on twist loaders in flap pouches) to test my real world carry methods. The LCR is my gym shorts/yard work/home office gun.

I did find this Lucky Gunner piece with a few test results: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...volver-reload/

For a starting point (subject to dry and live testing) I may work with 7 seconds for a 4-round reload and 9 for five.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Thanks, all, for the replies.

Part of my interest is adapting par times in drills and qualification courses (typically based on twist loaders in flap pouches) to test my real world carry methods. The LCR is my gym shorts/yard work/home office gun.

I did find this Lucky Gunner piece with a few test results: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...volver-reload/

For a starting point (subject to dry and live testing) I may work with 7 seconds for a 4-round reload and 9 for five.
    I have no experience with the LCR. I am used to a 5 or 6 round reload, what is the deal with the 4 round reload?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    @jetfire would probably be able to provide some good input here.
    Thanks! I break loader par times down based on equipment/location.

K/L frames/GP100s with Comp-III/Jet Loader/Speed Beez type loaders from IDPA concealment, my goal time is under 2.5 shot to shot on the reload. Same frames with moonclips and I want to be under 2.25, and really I'm hunting that sub 2.00 reload with clip guns.

With J-frames/LCRs if I'm running Speed Beez from a pouch concealed under a closed front shirt, realistically anything sub 4 seconds is pretty sporty and a good time. Twist knob loaders add another 0.5 to my par times to account for the shitty release mechanism and lack of spring tension.

Speed strips from a pocket? I actually think that 7-9 seconds is a fair window for that. I don't use speed strips, after spending a lot of time trying to get them right, I decided that I'd carry 5 rounds in a belt pouch and reload them 3x2 than fuck with speed strips.

The other option I'm going to try out in 2021 is going to be the 1911 mag with wadcutters, detailed here: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ractice-drill/

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I have no experience with the LCR. I am used to a 5 or 6 round reload, what is the deal with the 4 round reload?
    It’s the idea that you’re better off getting 80% loaded than spending the extra couple seconds getting 100% loaded. Detailed analysis here:https://revolverguy.com/thoughts-par...volver-reload/

User Tag List