Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A thread to catalog all POA/POI at different distances with different set ups...

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    So, you're discounting the likelihood of a low probability shot?
    Shoot what is available, while it is available, as long as it is available. I don't discount a low probability shot, I treat it as I would any other shot and will aim center mass of what is available. If it is a shot that I doubt I can make (shooting CoM of the 2 square inches of target available at 100 yards, for example) I won't shoot. No need to waste ammo, IMO.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goat18D View Post
    This would vary unpredictably based on a variety of differences, ammo load variations being the most salient.
    Yep.

Even handguns of the same make and model don't always hit the same POI. They never have, even with factory sights and the same load. It may not show up until you get out past 25 yards, but it's definitely the case.

Unfortunately, getting pistol sights to zero properly out of the box is still very much a pitch-til-you-win kind of thing.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm hoping this could become an interesting database, b/c I'm curious as to where my hold should be with a P30 and Trijicon HDs at 50 or 100 yds. At 25 yds, I currently hold below a 5" plate with a little bit of daylight b/w the bottom of the plate and the top of my sights.
    Sounds to me like you're hitting about 3" high at 25 yards.

My P30 is gone now, but I was shooting 8" plates from 25-50 yards by holding the top of the front sight pretty much dead center of the plate.
    At 25 the POI was just above dead center at 50 it was just below center, but all well within the margin of error.
    At 75-100 yards and inside 25 yards I just shoot the dot.
    Trijicon HD's and pretty much every 115gr. to 127gr. ammo I used.
    Same with both my P2000's, my P2000SK and my HK45C all with Trijicon HD's.

Personally I've found a 25 yard zero to be perfect for most handguns, and what you're describing would be unacceptable to me.
    My P229R is currently hitting 6" high at 25 yards and I'm changing sights to bring it to a 25 yard "POI top of the front sight" zero.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361
    "Image 2" is what I use from 25-50.
    "Image 3" is what I use inside 25 and at 75-100.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My set up:

HK P30 with 10-8 RS and Dawson Precision Tritium .170 FS

Montana Gold 124gr JHP set to 1.075 COAL in Federal brass over 4.9gr of Unique at 1080 FPS

Shoots to POA at 25yds and about an inch high at 50 yds. Dings 12x18" steel at 100

5 yds is about 1/4" under POA

This load duplicates my carry load (Gold Dot 124gr +P) in regards to POA / POI in my gun with my vision
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List