Page 99 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Always been intrigued by the JM wood grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I meant to say to go with hogues.

Me too. Dillon has unmarked jm grips I almost got but I found these on eBay for $20 less.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I like JMs.

I replaced the candy canes on my 625 PC with a set after trying about 7 others.

I have stubby fingers, so, YMMV.
    I took a dremel and rasp to a set of 629 laminate grips with the finger grooves/fish scale style checkering and I’ll be damned if the final form wasn’t something real close to the Miculeks (but with a round butt) by the time I got them to actually fit my hands. It made that little 3” .44 comfortable and controllable to shoot with the 240gr @ 1150 loads from HSM.

I meant to say to go with hogues.

Me too. Dillon has unmarked jm grips I almost got but I found these on eBay for $20 less.
    I had hoped having JMs initials on the grips would give me some of his mojo, but no luck so far[emoji17]

Vertical spread was 11". Not great but still technically in the A zone. Not bad for my first time out with it.

DA shooting I was getting some flyers at 25 yards. SA it was great. DA with a N frame is going to be a journey unto itself.

Name:  IMG_20221206_133933.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  34.3 KB

DA N frame physics are bigger heavier cylinder and hammer and trigger. Longer rotation of the cylinder. Bore axis is higher. I have the same revolver that you are shooting but it is a 629-2 Mountain Revolver. It requires a short familiarization with it after packing and shooting K frames for a while. Great models of Smiths. Unknown why they truly don't make a few real classic runs of these old Hammers.

These 270 gr rimrocks are nice looking bullets
    Name:  IMG_20221208_155403.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  15.4 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 12-08-2022 at 04:20 PM.

My 625-9 is pretty accurate with the Linebaugh 900fps W231 load, the DA trigger is a bit heavy but smooth. As it says in the article about that load, for me a Mountain Gun is a carry often, shoot occasionally item.

Name:  IMG_20221211_142316.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  59.9 KB

These 270 gr rimrocks are nice looking bullets
    Name:  IMG_20221208_155403.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  15.4 KB
    They are an outstanding bullet.

I have had some feedback from guys using them on Whitetails and hogs and they punch clean through them quite handily.

Definitely my favorite all around load/bullet for the .45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    They are an outstanding bullet.

I have had some feedback from guys using them on Whitetails and hogs and they punch clean through them quite handily.

Definitely my favorite all around load/bullet for the .45 Colt.
    Is that the RCBS 270SAA bullet (or one of its clones)?

I’m shooting the MP Molds version of that bullet out of my 5.5” Blackhawk at a bit over 1200fps and accuracy is outstanding. Unfortunately the deer didn’t cooperate with my handgun plans this year.

@03RN ... I want you to know that I am insanely jealous. A Mountain Gun (.45 or .44, I ain't picky) is a gun I've always wanted. And those are some big holes in that silhouette target!

Realistically, a lightweight big bore isn't something I could shoot a lot of rounds through without wrecking whats left of my wrists and arms. But I still have the wantsies. Bad.

User Tag List