Page 92 of 120 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I have too many higher priority projects pending but you guys are about to make me price gripframes for my 357 Mag. old model Vaquero rebuild.
    Aren’t all Vaqueros new models, i.e. have a clanky-ass transfer bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If you grew up watching John Wayne movies (and still watch them) this brass kind of makes you grin!

Same data as acp and AR?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Aren’t all Vaqueros new models, i.e. have a clanky-ass transfer bar?
    New Vaqueros are a smaller frame than the original ones

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Same data as acp and AR?
    Yes on the ACP
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Wish Bill had listened to someone else.

Elmer gave us the less-ergonomic XR3-RED grip frame, the cheap, crappy aluminum rear sight (plus the fugly ribs), and, worst of all, the POSITIVELY abominable dragoon grip frame.
    At one point in the past the gp100 sights were identical and made of steel. Mine have them.

The ribs disappear with the application of a file and wet-or-dry paper and cold blue.

I dont mind the standard red/whatever grip frames, its the factory and most aftermarket grips i dont care for much. I started working on the factories then decent replacements, the best being one piece rosewoods. I view most guns as "a good starting point" to get what I want, this being one of those things, as well as the other half dozen or so things I tend to change on Rugers.

The Super grips frames do indeed help with recoil, but Im not so fond of the big flair at the bottom. I really like the Cassull grip frame, so had a gun shop guy take the grips off one and let me trace them, then altered a Super grip frame to match (requires welding and grinding), and have a really nice feeling longer grip frame (removed the square back trigger guard also),...which ive never put on a gun because I really prefer the standard grip frame over anything else once I did the one piece rosewoods and im too lazy/unmotivated to make nice grips for it. I keep thinking Im going to use it one day, but the ambition level to make more grips isnt there and I dislike the factory ones for the most part. I guess i dont shoot many heavy loads either, further reducing the real need for the longer grip frame.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-22-2022 at 04:19 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Pair of old model Vaqueros in .45 colt
    The new model Vaqueros are closer in size to the Colt SAA.

Attachment 84818
    Last edited by baddean; 02-22-2022 at 04:20 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    If you were going to buy a Single Action would you go with 44 Mag or 45 Colt?
    That would depend on how you want to use it.
    Obviously the .44 has much more power but you can also shoot .44 specials in it so maybe more versatile.
    Dean,

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    If you were going to buy a Single Action would you go with 44 Mag or 45 Colt?
    It depends on what other guns you have.

If you are already a .45 ACP shooter, such as a 1911 owner, then I would opt for a .45 Convertible Ruger. This way you can use the .45 ACP cylinder. You get loads of cheap brass, and handy little speedloaders in the shape of 1911 mags:

While I am a died in the wool .44 Mag fan, it is hard to beat the practical nature of the .45 Convertible Blackhawk. The only downside is that sometimes .45 Rugers require some work, specifically getting the cylinder throats uniform, before they start shooting their best. That never really seems to be an issue with .44 Mags. With both S&W and Ruger, the .44 has always been a "Plug and Play" kind of thing. Plus I will say the .44 Russian brass/loads have been quite fun.

In fact I have a Manson chamber reamer floating around somewhere in PF land that fixes the throats on .45 chambers, and it is a pretty quick fix. So if you buy one, Just let us know and whoever has it at the moment, can mail it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Same data as acp and AR?
    Yep, of course if you are shooting it in a BH you have a much stronger than normal platform (versus a semi auto), so you can bump them up a bit (within reason).

Since I brought up the .45 Schofield round in an earlier post.
    A pair of Colt open top replicas from Uberti in .45 Schofield. Shot using black powder.

Attachment 84819
    Dean,

User Tag List