Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Was at the LGS the other day and they had a 325 Night Guard but it was $1300. Would love to have one but not that bad.
    There’s a 386 seven shooter listed on a local forum for $1350. I cel your pain on the cost but I think that’s pretty close to what the market bears on those guns. I’m still holding out for some widder woman to come up with a 315 for sale at the price her dearly departed told her he paid for it...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    There’s a 386 seven shooter listed on a local forum for $1350. I cel your pain on the cost but I think that’s pretty close to what the market bears on those guns. I’m still holding out for some widder woman to come up with a 315 for sale at the price her dearly departed told her he paid for it...
    Oh I don't doubt that's about market value for that gun. But there's a lot of other stuff I would rather spend $1300 on than even a nice wheelgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

How would the experienced big bore owners here view a S&W 29-10 in a 3” barrel/44mag for a backcountry gun? Does a barrel that short reduce velocity noticeably?

I may have a line on one here locally but am very green in the revolver space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    How would the experienced big bore owners here view a S&W 29-10 in a 3” barrel/44mag for a backcountry gun? Does a barrel that short reduce velocity noticeably?

It's absolutely qualified, but not nearly as light as the 329.
    There will be a bit more recoil from the 3" barrel, and the flash that accompanies, but velocities will be close to a 4 inch Mountain Gun, or a coveted 5 inch gun.

With the Smith guns, you should not 'hot-rod' the 44 loads, but rather stick to factory loads, or loads loaded to factory specs/strength/velocities.

Rugers tend to be stronger guns for hotter loads.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Rugers tend to be stronger guns for hotter loads.
    Own or owned both. The Ruger-level loads lose their charm after a while. At least in the Eastern US, there's not much that can't be handled by 44spec +P or 44mag -P load.

Chris

.44 Magnum testing from various barrel lengths:

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

Notice the real world results towards the bottom of the page show a lot of variation. I'm suspecting cylinder gap is as much at play as barrel length here. Power wise though, even a relatively mild load, heavy weight bullet is going to get good penetration with the right design. More pound feet is irrelevant if the bullet goes through and through anyways.

I haven't carried a .44 Magnum in the field for a long time. When I used to, I found a Super Blackhawk much more comfortable for recoil management. The grip angle, and shifting muscles, of a double action pull always made loads feel nastier in .44 Magnum DA revolvers than an SA.

Good info, thank you. 1000+ FPS with a 240gr is nothing to sneeze at.

My two revolver samples currently are DAO so a DA pull would be a normal transition for me on the mountain gun.

Good info, thank you. 1000+ FPS with a 240gr is nothing to sneeze at.

My two revolver samples currently are DAO so a DA pull would be a normal transition for me on the mountain gun.

A 3" Mountain Gun?

Here are some actual chrono results for a 2 3/4" M69 (5 Shot L Frame .44 Mag)

Here are some chrono results from the 2 ¾” M69

Competion Electronics at 5 Long paces from muzzle
    30 to 70 def f
    Results recorded on different days and months.
    H110 Load used Mag Primers
    New or 1X cases.

240gr JHP, Federal Factory No. 44A production date May ’81 --------------------------------------------- 1,137 fps
    240gr JFP (Zero) 23.5gr H110, seated and crimped in crimp grove in Mag cases -------------------- 1,126 fps
    260gr WFNGC (Mt Bul Wks) 23.0gr H110, seated and crimped in crimp grove in Mag cases ----- 1,125 fps
    265gr SWCGC (429244) 17.5gr 2400, seated deep, crimped over fr drive band in Mag cases --- 1,100 fps
    265gr SWCGC (429244) 23.5gr H110, seated and crimped in crimp grove in Mag cases ---------- 1,162 fps
    310gr FNGCDC (Lee) 20.0gr H110, seated and crimped in top crimp grove in Mag cases --------- 1,100 fps
    325gr LFNGC (BTB) 22.0gr H110, seated and crimped in crimp grove in Mag cases --------------- 1,104 fps

H110 Load used Mag Primers
    New or 1X cases.

Buffalo Bore, 305 LBT LFN HC rated 1,325 fps
    Underwood, 305 LFNGC Plated (HiTech?) rated 1,325 fps
    LabRadar muzzle velocity at 33 deg F

S&W M69 2.75" ===> BB 1,195 fps ===> Under 1,147fps
    S&W M69 4.25" ===> BB 1,276 fps ===> Under 1,248 fps
    Ruger SRH 7.5" ===> BB 1,395 fps ===> Under 1,315 fps

Lab Radar Muzzle Vel at 50 deg F
    240gr JSP Zero, Mult X mixed cases, 23.6gr H110, WLP, 1,105 fps AVG
    240gr FP Cutting Edge Mono Metal, 1x Starline, 22.6 gr H110, CCI350, 1,233 fps AVG
    265gr WFN Lehigh Mono Metal, 1x Starline, 20.1gr H110, CCI350, 1,068 FPS AVG

FWIW,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    A 3" Mountain Gun?
    Not a true mountain gun per se, but the one I am looking at for that role. It’s more aptly my developing backcountry option.

User Tag List