Page 55 of 120 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

I have a set of Hogue wood grips that are basically a wood version of their rubber monogrip for my 629-3. They look pretty, but I hate finger grooves, so I bought a set of Hogue wood monogrips without the grooves. I would be happy to send the wood finger groove grips to anyone who want's them, free. PM me an address. First come first serve. They fit K frame square butt.

Sorry, they fit "N" frame square butt.

We have a winner, so I'll be sending them off tomorrow to a good home.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-06-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Great thread. When I grow up, I want to be Malamute and Lost River. And I need to move west. I've said it in another thread in the past, but every now and again I google "Malamute 29" and look at that old war horse with all the bluing missing. So sweet.

A friend of mine is a model 29 fiend and during a camping trip a couple years ago, he had his 4" 629 that I started lusting over. That week I had listed for sale/trade a Savage .223 I never shot any more. On a whim when I got home from camping I added ".44 Magnum revolver" to the list of potential trade items (plus cash for me obviously). A few minutes later a guy offers to trade a 4" 629 and around 125 rounds of factory ammo, straight trade. When I asked him about the condition he says "it's got a pretty bad scratch on the cylinder". Ok, send me a picture. That scratch went all the way around the cylinder, aka the cylinder ring. He was definitely a "buy it, shoot it a bit, trade it" kind of guy. It has become one of my favorite firearms. In fact I just switched my progressive press from 9mm to .44 Magnum. It's a staple for our trips out west and looks good on the coffee table too. I need to decide on some grips. Hogues don't look great but they sure feel good.

Nuf yackin'. You know it's been a good range trip when you come home with only 4 remaining rounds of your reloads. That's a 200 gr Xtreme plated RNFP over some Win 231, which I already had for 9mm. Some Unique and heavier SWCs are on the list for 2019. Oh and some reading materials I've enjoyed.

And with the first holster I ever attempted to make. Pancake that I also made a chest carry harness for. Kinda Diamond D-like I reckon.

Great post!

The "Hell I was There" is a particular favorite for me, as there are lots of connections in there. Many places are familiar and it is great reading about them many years ago.

That said, your holster is one heck of a fine job for a first attempt. Or a 41st. I'd be proud to wear that on my hip.

In regards to grips, if you want to stay with recoil absorbing synthetics, then the old Pachmeyer decelerators can still be found. These were a gift from a buddy who found them on ebay I believe. But I have also seen them on Gunbroker as well.

I actually really like the retro 80s look of the camo and stainless. With a blued gun I prefer wood, but this 629 seems "just right" with these.

BTW for a pure fun load try some 185-200 grain full wadcutters and 10 grains Unique.

Site Supporter
    Having just traded into a older (90’s) 5.5 Redhawk I’m curious on what advice everyone has regarding mounting a RDS. Is the Ultradot still the gold standard for hunting revolvers or should I look to a smaller unit like one of the Aimpoints? I assume the Weigand no drill mount is the way to go for the Ultradot, any different recommendation for one of the Micros?

The intended use will be deer in a wooded section of a buddy’s farm in NC next year.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Having just traded into a older (90’s) 5.5 Redhawk I’m curious on what advice everyone has regarding mounting a RDS. Is the Ultradot still the gold standard for hunting revolvers or should I look to a smaller unit like one of the Aimpoints? I assume the Weigand no drill mount is the way to go for the Ultradot, any different recommendation for one of the Micros?

The intended use will be deer in a wooded section of a buddy’s farm in NC next year.

Thank you in advance!

For heavy recoiling handguns Ultradots are the gold standard as far as I am concerned.

On my 7.5" Redhawk that I have zeroed for 300 grain XTPs pushed by a stout load of H110, that is what I use.

You can do some pretty fair accuracy work @ a 100 with a red dot too if you have a solid rest:

Fluke group (vs typical internet "if I do my part"nonsense):

I have a Weigand mount on an M29 and it is a solid little mount. I just don't know if the mini mount is long enough for the full size ultradots. That said, if they have a full size version, the Weigand products are G2G.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the response! The previous owner used a full length Weigand with success and that is my inclination I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing out on being able to just replace the rear sight with a T-1 or something so I have more holster options and a handier revolver. Maybe by next year we’ll know if the Aimpoint Acro will allow that.

Looks like the 30mm Ultradot is it.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-07-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Finish thought

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Dang! Lost River has all the guns. And if he doesn't, GJM has the rest. Or maybe it's the other way...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Dang! Lost River has all the guns. And if he doesn't, GJM has the rest. Or maybe it's the other way...
    I think your forgetting someone, what ever you can think of I suspect he has 3 of each in his safe, each with a historical provenance.
    In fact, if he posted up tomorrow that he had Jelly Bryce's Lucky 13, with period correct gun leather, I wouldn't be shocked in the least.

Revolver hoarder, also known as DaggaBoy

Today's acquisition:

Name:  IMG_2048.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  62.5 KB

29-2, apparently a safe queen. So far I've found four tiny scuffs. LGS says it was one of three consigned by an estate, the 8-3/8" sold immediately, I grabbed the 4" and there's still a 6" sitting in the store which unfortunately has a bit of rust pitting on the topstrap.

It will wear real wood soon, hoping to find time to order something this week.
    Last edited by Salamander; 03-02-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Very nice. Now it needs some leather.

I primed 600 pieces of .45 Colt brass and had to stop because I ran out of primers. I think Im about halfway there.

User Tag List