Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Looking at this thread makes me want to buy a horse.
    I'd rather have a bad motorcycle than a good horse. I don't trust things that are considerably bigger than me and have a mind of their own, horses, donkeys, mules, hippos, bears, you get the idea.

___

This thread makes me want to buy a .44 Magnum and 100-acres in Idaho.

I'd settle for the 100-acres.

Site Supporter
    I woke up early this morning and ended up reading this thread all the way through.

I have several hundred rounds of full-power .44 Mag hunting loads from when I used to hunt. I'm going to dig the Old Model SBH out of the safe and take a hundred rounds with me to shoot after I vote and before I start work. I'll do this for a few range sessions until I finish them, then order some 240-grain LSWCs and work up an equivalent of the 10-grains-Unique load using BE-86. Then I'll do the same with my 4" M57-0.

I don't think my PX4s will mind.

Lost River I need to visit Milt's site again. Is that a new model rig he's making for SAs. Got a Bisley that needs a leather upgrade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I woke up early this morning and ended up reading this thread all the way through.

I have several hundred rounds of full-power .44 Mag hunting loads from when I used to hunt. I'm going to dig the Old Model SBH out of the safe and take a hundred rounds with me to shoot after I vote and before I start work. I'll do this for a few range sessions until I finish them, then order some 240-grain LSWCs and work up an equivalent of the 10-grains-Unique load using BE-86. Then I'll do the same with my 4" M57-0.

I don't think my PX4s will mind.
    So, I dug out the OMSBH, 50 rounds of 240-grain LSWCs over 22 grains of 296 and another 50 of Speer factory 270-grain SPs, stopped to vote on the way to the range, stapled up a B6C (50-yard repair center, because I had some) at the 15 yard line because I hadn't shot this gun for at least ten years and was hoping to be able to at least stay on paper at that range, and commenced to make some noise. After a while, I did remember a little of how to shoot this thing...

Name:  OMSBH.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  41.5 KB

That's five rounds each of the above loads, offhand. Not as good as I used to be, but with 66-year-old eyes, I'll take it.

After 90 rounds, I noticed that I had a pea-sized flap of skin loose on my palm. I shot the last five rounds one-handed just to remind myself what it felt like. As I packed up, my right shoulder went into "WTF were you thinking?" mode, but calmed down after a while.

This was a big change of pace after having concentrated on defensive shooting for the past few years. I'm going to let my palm heal and then start taking the .44 with me when I practice with my 9x19s. With one box of ammo. It'll be like dessert after a good meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Lost River I need to visit Milt's site again. Is that a new model rig he's making for SAs. Got a Bisley that needs a leather upgrade.

This one is a 200AW model but it was built as a cross draw, due to the fact that the 7.5" barrel is more comfortable/practical to be carried that way outdoors, especially when getting into and out of a pickup.

I am going to order a holster for my S&W 4506 this week (when I can catch a break), since Christmas is right around the corner. This time of year my wife usually calls and asks what I secretly have on order that I have not told her about.

That way I know I will get something under the tree I really like instead of ugly sweaters..

It is probably a bit late though but even an envelope saying it is being built makes me grin from ear to ear!

So, I dug out the OMSBH, 50 rounds of 240-grain LSWCs over 22 grains of 296 and another 50 of Speer factory 270-grain SPs, stopped to vote on the way to the range, stapled up a B6C (50-yard repair center, because I had some) at the 15 yard line because I hadn't shot this gun for at least ten years and was hoping to be able to at least stay on paper at that range, and commenced to make some noise. After a while, I did remember a little of how to shoot this thing...

That's five rounds each of the above loads, offhand. Not as good as I used to be, but with 66-year-old eyes, I'll take it.

After 90 rounds, I noticed that I had a pea-sized flap of skin loose on my palm. I shot the last five rounds one-handed just to remind myself what it felt like. As I packed up, my right shoulder went into "WTF were you thinking?" mode, but calmed down after a while.

This was a big change of pace after having concentrated on defensive shooting for the past few years. I'm going to let my palm heal and then start taking the .44 with me when I practice with my 9x19s. With one box of ammo. It'll be like dessert after a good meal!

That is some dang fine shooting!

After not shooting big bores for a while it really takes a bit to warm back up to them if a guy expects to do any real accuracy work. I have explained it to a number of people over the years using a weightlifting/working out analogy.

It is like not lifting weights for a long period of time, and then think you are going to step right back up to what you were benching, or running beforehand. It just does not happen. I usually start off with some mild loads for a few practice sessions, then move up to my medium loads, and finally I go to the elk stompers. That is the only way I can shoot any decent groups after not shooting big bores for a while.

Your target looks fantastic!

Site Supporter
    @Lost River - Thanks! I can relate to easing back into it as opposed to jumping back into it. I'm doing my first half marathon in a month. I'm a cyclist and can do a 100-mile ride at the drop of a hat, so the engine's there, but the chassis, not so much - my lower back complains loudly every time I push harder, but it takes longer to start complaining as I get used to it.

I've got some .44 Special loads that I worked up for my M21-4, 200-grain RNFPs over 7 grains of Unique, but that supply is getting low. I might need to switch the 550 over to .44 for a while.

I need to get another holster for the OMSBH. That hammer spur snags on stuff when carried strong side, might have to look into a cross-draw.

Site Supporter
    Revchuck, it did my heart good to see your gun and that group. I'd bet money that you have used the Ruger to roll milk jugs at 100 plus yards.

Funny you mention this. Last Saturday I took my old Model 29-2 out of the safe for the first time in a few years. My group was about the like yours and the kid with the Glock on the lane beside me poked his head around the divider after the first shot. I didn't embarrass myself at 25, but I called it a day after about 20 rounds. I had forgotten how much I like the smell of cast bullet lube.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Nice shooting. Please excuse the thread drift but is it possible to replace the squared off trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk? I find it makes shooting two handed pretty uncomfortable.

User Tag List