Page 5 of 120 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

I found a very used Colt 1917 in 45LC whose 6" barrel had been reamed out, best guess, to fire shot shells as a snake or rat gun. Picked up parts on various online auctions and put it back together as a 4" with cylinder assemblies for both the .45LC and .45acp or auto rim.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Always nice to see a good old gun return from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With a bird dog that runs like crazy, that scares the bejesus out of me! Will take bears over snakes any day.

Been thinking about this for a day or two. I've felt that way at times, however snakes are easier to deal with, and the results aren't exactly the same. The consequences of a difficulty with a grizzly can be nearly instantaneous and profound. There have been a number of fatalities recently, including a couple or so folks that have been eaten after being killed. I accept the fact that theres bears here, and love the country they happen to live in, but snakes are a bit easier to deal with, either to avoid, kill or survive the worst type of encounter. Once a bear takes exception to your existence for whatever reason, the outcome is by no means certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Been thinking about this for a day or two. I've felt that way at times, however snakes are easier to deal with, and the results aren't exactly the same. The consequences of a difficulty with a grizzly can be nearly instantaneous and profound. There have been a number of fatalities recently, including a couple or so folks that have been eaten after being killed. I accept the fact that theres bears here, and love the country they happen to live in, but snakes are a bit easier to deal with, either to avoid, kill or survive the worst type of encounter. Once a bear takes exception to your existence for whatever reason, the outcome is by no means certain.
    Big bears are part of what makes Alaska …. well, Alaska, and I can't imagine Alaska without bears. Having something larger and more powerful is humbling and exciting. Bears also cause you to keep your practical shooting skills sharp, and spend countless hours obsessing over the firearms you carry in the field.

In contrast, if poisonous snakes disappeared from the lower 48, Canada and Africa, I can only imagine a better place. Besides worrying about our bird dog, Astro, I can't tell you how hard it was some days hunting elephant in the tall grass in Africa, knowing there were any number of snakes around capable of ending your life.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I found a very used Colt 1917 in 45LC whose 6" barrel had been reamed out, best guess, to fire shot shells as a snake or rat gun. Picked up parts on various online auctions and put it back together as a 4" with cylinder assemblies for both the .45LC and .45acp or auto rim.
    That's a pretty cool piece. I've always wanted one of those. People also reamed out the barrels to use shot shells in trick shooting exhibitions. It's easier to hit things like marbles and such, and makes your backstop needs simplier.

That gun might have an interesting history.

No snakes means way more rats. More rats means more plague. I'd rather deal with snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    No snakes means way more rats. More rats means more plague. I'd rather deal with snakes.
    not no snakes, no poisonous snakes!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    not no snakes, no poisonous snakes!

They obviously evolved for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That gun might have an interesting history.
    That would be nice to know, but I have no idea how to go about it. I don't think the shop I purchased it from would be too helpful as they are high volume and it was many years ago. Your trick shooting scenario might also explain the grips it came with which appear to be some kind of target grips that were made for a different model and modified to fit this gun. That would be a lot of work for a 'shoot varmints around the farm' kind of gun. They look like these.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 12-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    They obviously evolved for a good reason.
    Chuck, if this evolution thing worked so well, how do you explain liberals?

User Tag List