Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Well, a .357 probably doesn't quite fall into the "big bore" category, but it is very definitely is a highly effective round.

Nice doe.

Not to dis your 686, but "big bore" starts at point four. The .357 is a medium.

Of course the 9 is a medium also, although the two don't really compare. Especially if you're talking heavy bullets.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Sometimes... although some might argue that .357mag isn't a "big bore".

Attachment 16016
    Elmer Keith was more of a 44 fan, but Ed McGivern seemed like an enthusiastic fan of the 357. Reading his book currently.

S&W 681 stoked with Hornady 158gr XTPs in this case. They shoot to the sights, and are rather accurate. I have yet to recover a bullet.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Doug Wesson killed a lot of big game with a 357 mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With big game seasons either happening or happening soon how about a necrobump to see what y'all are taking into the field with you?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Honestly I'll probably just take my carry Glock 19. I do have a 6.5" Blackhawk with a .357/44 B&D cylinder I should take but I still need to work up some hunting handloads for it. I have a line on a 4" S&W 25-5, if that works out it will become my hunting/outdoor revolver.
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-15-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarification

The answer is : It depends..

If I am rifle hunting and not doing serious mountain climbs, I may just rock my 4 or 5" M29:

That said, they now have opened up a "short range weapons" area near me for deer, and even though I don't like hunting until there is snow on the ground, a close to home hunt with my RDO sighted Redhawk would be fun, especially since the red dot makes accurate hits substantially easier at extended distances:

However if I am doing the serious climbs and weight is an issue, then the plastic makes the most sense:

I went to the desert this weekend in order to dial in my 7.5" Redhawk for this upcoming big game. It is wearing an Ultradot RDO, which has proven to make a significant difference in longer range accuracy for me.

Long story short, about a week or so ago I had been out shooting other guns, and wanted to get the RDO equipped Redhawk on paper at extended ranges. I set up an IDPA target at 120 "ish"yards (120 long paces). I got the revolver on paper and fired a quick group, just using the whole center of the target as reference. I was shooting 300 grain XTPs pushed by H110. Previously when getting the revolver close to zeroed, the couple of rounds fired each time looked promising...

When I walked down and took a look at the one 4 round group I fired, this is what I found:

subtracting the bullet diameter, it is slightly under 1" at 120 yards.

Yeah, I know, no big deal. I do it all the time....

OR in reality a PURE FLUKE. But still kind of fun to have happen every once in a while!

I took a pic from the target back to the truck, just for kicks!

Continued in next post:

Looks like youve got things going your way with that particular sixgun.

User Tag List