Page 47 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hah! Rainy day. That was an odd load--some old ammo that didn't ignite fully. Here's what I was shooting:
    Giving serious thought to turning my Liberty Model SBH into a snubby like yours for the next 39 years I own it!

Was the old load in other pic the Remington 180 SP?I love that loud, nasty load. Besides the light show they kill deer like lightning!
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 03-05-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Giving serious thought to turning my Liberty Model SBH into a snubby like yours for the next 39 years I own it!

Was the old load in other pic the Remington 180 SP?I love that loud, nasty load. Besides the light show they kill deer like lightning!
    The load was a white box labeled "240 GR. FMSP +P+ Hunting Load" made by Miwall. Flat nose copper jacketed bullets with a star shape at the tip. Very stout load.

I decided to shoot the rest of them up, but one was a squib. Stuck right between the chamber and barrel. Game over. It took a rod and a hammer to fix.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-05-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Re-reading this thread is giving me way too many ideas on how to spend money.

This may deserve a different thread, but does anyone hunt with their big bore revolver?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

In case anyone's interested, here are some chrono numbers and load data from my Super Blackhawk Bisley 3.75". I'm working on loads for carry in Alaska and Montana. (NOTE: Load data are FYI only--use at your own risk!)

Buffalo Bore +P+ 340gr lead hard cast: 1363 fps. Holy shit! This was by far the most recoil I've felt from a .44 mag. Totally controllable and accurate, but no fun at all. Flat primer, slightly sticky ejection.

Berrys 240gr plated flat nose, 10.0gr 800-X: 958 fps

(note that these are compressed loads)
    Barnes 220gr XPB, 13.0 gr 800-X: 1381 fps
    Barnes 220gr XPB, 13.5 gr 800-X: 1422 fps (Stout recoil, flat primer, but good ejection)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Re-reading this thread is giving me way too many ideas on how to spend money.

This may deserve a different thread, but does anyone hunt with their big bore revolver?
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I did. I once lived in VT and a handgun in the woods had a lot of advantages. Besides, deer were pretty smart back then. It was not uncommon to have does walk right up to me, and look at me as though they were saying "neeya, neeya, you can't shoot me." The bucks would stay out of sight until well after the season was over.

I thought that if I was going to be in the woods and not see anything to shoot at, I might as well carry a .44 S&W revolver instead of a .30-06.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I used to joke that I used up all my hunting luck by shooting deer struck by cars as a police officer. I shot a lot of deer with a 1911. The furthest was about 35 yards. A big buck with a broken leg.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Did you cast those or are they Rimrocks, LR? Care to share the load? I'm thinking a Rimrocks cruising around 1,100 fps outta my Mountain Gun would work on mice to whitetail really well.

CC1984,

These are Penn Bullets, 185 grain double bevel base wadcutter.

The load is 10 grains of Unique.

Great bullets but sadly I could NEVER recommend Penn Bullets.

It has been a while, but if I recall right, it took me over a year to finally get the order filled, and he didn't outright say it, but he essentially accused me of trying to scam him. From what I understand, I am not the only person to have had issues. The bullets I received were great, but I would just as soon smack my thumb with a hammer as deal with that guy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Attachment 14367

My old 1950 44 been on many Idaho back trails

That is a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Attachment 14370

Sunday go to meeting 624 Lousy photography but the 44 Spl makes up for most of it. Carry this concealed in a Mernickle Performance Series rig, a 6 round cartridge slide and a single HKS speedloader in an old DeSantis speedloader split six.
    Palouse Hills?

User Tag List