Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 762

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

  1. #21
    Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    This thread has led me directly to gunbroker, where I'm facing some serious temptation.
    3/15/2016

  2. #22
    Before the Scandium 329 was available, I had Hamilton Bowen make up a trim .44. The revolver shoots great, as in one inch +/- at 25 yards, and is surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with 300 grain hard cast full power loads. I figured out I would rather have a DA revolver in a fight with a bear, despite how sweet the Bowen .44 is, so it doesn't see much field use now.



    Here is my modern rig -- shoulder holster and chest rig.

    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  3. #23
    Nice looking wheelies. Just remember the most important bear defense handgun mod--removing the front sight.......

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Center of the Known Universe, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Before the Scandium 329 was available, I had Hamilton Bowen make up a trim .44. The revolver shoots great, as in one inch +/- at 25 yards, and is surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with 300 grain hard cast full power loads. I figured out I would rather have a DA revolver in a fight with a bear, despite how sweet the Bowen .44 is, so it doesn't see much field use now.

    Here is my modern rig -- shoulder holster and chest rig.

    How does that carry with a pack on? Where do I get one made? Nice looking setup.

  5. #25
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Beautiful rig. Think it is a tad bit classier than my a Wilderness belt/Scandium 329 (Bowen customized)/Leatherman/Surefire combo?

    I have a Bowen lightened and shortened stainless .44 magnum Ruger SA that is way more comfortable to shoot than much heavier a S&W and Ruger DA revolvers.

    Is that snake shot and do you use it much?
    Thanks for the kind words.

    I haven't handled one of the lightened guns. One reason I like the 45's in the SA's is they feel noticeably lighter and better in my hand. I have a 44 SA, but virtually never carry it. The work I did on the grip straps probably lightened the 45's a tiny bit also.

    I've used snake shot a bit. I try to avoid places with snakes in the summer, but still run into them now and then. One place I lived was fairly snaky. I shot two at different times that were under the front steps (found them b y sound when I came home in the dark and stepped in the porch step), one in the garage door that I had stepped over without seeing, then noticed when I walked out, several in the yard, and one in the house. The bird shot loads are a bit hard on flooring, but it was just the sub-floor, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other places had a few snakes also. The last two places I've lived I haven't seen any other than bull snakes and grass snakes. I still run into snakes out walking though. I mostly shoot them with light loads in the rifle, but keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer.

  6. #26
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I am so madly in love with the gun in that picture that it's not even funny.

    You don't sass back to a person carries a gun looks like that.


    For some reason I keep thinking "Rather cunning, don't you think?" when I think of your post.

  7. #27
    I have carried an old six-inch Ruger Blackhawk .357 often in the woods.
    I think it rides best of the full-sized guns I've used.

    A former police gun, a four-inch M28 has been along when I was trout fishing.

    I've hunted rabbits at the tail end of the season with an old M1917 .45 ACP.
    One the ones S&W made for Brazil in 1937-38. I put an Evans Wonder Sight on it.
    And had it Parkerized.

    A nickled Model M58 has been to the woods a few times in trout season.

    So far, only the Blackhawk has taken game. I killed a snowshoe hare with it
    using my .38 Special reloads.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    How does that carry with a pack on? Where do I get one made? Nice looking setup.
    Depends. The chest rig has less interference with a big pack, but may conflict with you binoculars. I have been using a Glock 29 in the chest rig when sheep hunting. Last trip, I forgot my chest rig, and ended up using the shoulder holster which I flew up there with. I was happy, in particular with how the shoulder holster was more comfortable to sleep with in the tent, and now consider chest versus shoulder a toss up.

    Both rigs are made by Survival Sheath Systems. Delivery and communication is very challenging, so buyer beware. I think there may be a new source soon, from a vendor highly respected by PF members.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

    I haven't handled one of the lightened guns. One reason I like the 45's in the SA's is they feel noticeably lighter and better in my hand. I have a 44 SA, but virtually never carry it. The work I did on the grip straps probably lightened the 45's a tiny bit also.

    I've used snake shot a bit. I try to avoid places with snakes in the summer, but still run into them now and then. One place I lived was fairly snaky. I shot two at different times that were under the front steps (found them b y sound when I came home in the dark and stepped in the porch step), one in the garage door that I had stepped over without seeing, then noticed when I walked out, several in the yard, and one in the house. The bird shot loads are a bit hard on flooring, but it was just the sub-floor, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other places had a few snakes also. The last two places I've lived I haven't seen any other than bull snakes and grass snakes. I still run into snakes out walking though. I mostly shoot them with light loads in the rifle, but keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer.
    Are you south -- to see that many snakes? Alaska doesn't have poisonous snakes, and where we hang out in CO is too high for them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  9. #29
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

    Are you south -- to see that many snakes? Alaska doesn't have poisonous snakes, and where we hang out in CO is too high for them.
    Northern Rockies. At the lower elevations theres a fair number of snakes in some areas. I haven't seen any over about 3', most seem to be about 24"-30". That's one reason I like going up on the mountain in the summer, I'm just trading snakes for bears and skeeters though.


    Pretty unusual, but this was from two days. I hadn't seen one for two years before that.


  10. #30
    With a bird dog that runs like crazy, that scares the bejesus out of me! Will take bears over snakes any day.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •