Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    This thread has led me directly to gunbroker, where I'm facing some serious temptation.
    3/15/2016

Before the Scandium 329 was available, I had Hamilton Bowen make up a trim .44. The revolver shoots great, as in one inch +/- at 25 yards, and is surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with 300 grain hard cast full power loads. I figured out I would rather have a DA revolver in a fight with a bear, despite how sweet the Bowen .44 is, so it doesn't see much field use now.

Here is my modern rig -- shoulder holster and chest rig.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nice looking wheelies. Just remember the most important bear defense handgun mod--removing the front sight.......

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Before the Scandium 329 was available, I had Hamilton Bowen make up a trim .44. The revolver shoots great, as in one inch +/- at 25 yards, and is surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with 300 grain hard cast full power loads. I figured out I would rather have a DA revolver in a fight with a bear, despite how sweet the Bowen .44 is, so it doesn't see much field use now.

Here is my modern rig -- shoulder holster and chest rig.

How does that carry with a pack on? Where do I get one made? Nice looking setup.

Beautiful rig. Think it is a tad bit classier than my a Wilderness belt/Scandium 329 (Bowen customized)/Leatherman/Surefire combo?

I have a Bowen lightened and shortened stainless .44 magnum Ruger SA that is way more comfortable to shoot than much heavier a S&W and Ruger DA revolvers.

Is that snake shot and do you use it much?
    Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't handled one of the lightened guns. One reason I like the 45's in the SA's is they feel noticeably lighter and better in my hand. I have a 44 SA, but virtually never carry it. The work I did on the grip straps probably lightened the 45's a tiny bit also.

I've used snake shot a bit. I try to avoid places with snakes in the summer, but still run into them now and then. One place I lived was fairly snaky. I shot two at different times that were under the front steps (found them b y sound when I came home in the dark and stepped in the porch step), one in the garage door that I had stepped over without seeing, then noticed when I walked out, several in the yard, and one in the house. The bird shot loads are a bit hard on flooring, but it was just the sub-floor, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other places had a few snakes also. The last two places I've lived I haven't seen any other than bull snakes and grass snakes. I still run into snakes out walking though. I mostly shoot them with light loads in the rifle, but keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I am so madly in love with the gun in that picture that it's not even funny.

You don't sass back to a person carries a gun looks like that.

For some reason I keep thinking "Rather cunning, don't you think?" when I think of your post.

I have carried an old six-inch Ruger Blackhawk .357 often in the woods.
    I think it rides best of the full-sized guns I've used.

A former police gun, a four-inch M28 has been along when I was trout fishing.

I've hunted rabbits at the tail end of the season with an old M1917 .45 ACP.
    One the ones S&W made for Brazil in 1937-38. I put an Evans Wonder Sight on it.
    And had it Parkerized.

A nickled Model M58 has been to the woods a few times in trout season.

So far, only the Blackhawk has taken game. I killed a snowshoe hare with it
    using my .38 Special reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    How does that carry with a pack on? Where do I get one made? Nice looking setup.
    Depends. The chest rig has less interference with a big pack, but may conflict with you binoculars. I have been using a Glock 29 in the chest rig when sheep hunting. Last trip, I forgot my chest rig, and ended up using the shoulder holster which I flew up there with. I was happy, in particular with how the shoulder holster was more comfortable to sleep with in the tent, and now consider chest versus shoulder a toss up.

Both rigs are made by Survival Sheath Systems. Delivery and communication is very challenging, so buyer beware. I think there may be a new source soon, from a vendor highly respected by PF members.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't handled one of the lightened guns. One reason I like the 45's in the SA's is they feel noticeably lighter and better in my hand. I have a 44 SA, but virtually never carry it. The work I did on the grip straps probably lightened the 45's a tiny bit also.

I've used snake shot a bit. I try to avoid places with snakes in the summer, but still run into them now and then. One place I lived was fairly snaky. I shot two at different times that were under the front steps (found them b y sound when I came home in the dark and stepped in the porch step), one in the garage door that I had stepped over without seeing, then noticed when I walked out, several in the yard, and one in the house. The bird shot loads are a bit hard on flooring, but it was just the sub-floor, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other places had a few snakes also. The last two places I've lived I haven't seen any other than bull snakes and grass snakes. I still run into snakes out walking though. I mostly shoot them with light loads in the rifle, but keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer.
    Are you south -- to see that many snakes? Alaska doesn't have poisonous snakes, and where we hang out in CO is too high for them.

Are you south -- to see that many snakes? Alaska doesn't have poisonous snakes, and where we hang out in CO is too high for them.
    Northern Rockies. At the lower elevations theres a fair number of snakes in some areas. I haven't seen any over about 3', most seem to be about 24"-30". That's one reason I like going up on the mountain in the summer, I'm just trading snakes for bears and skeeters though.

Pretty unusual, but this was from two days. I hadn't seen one for two years before that.

With a bird dog that runs like crazy, that scares the bejesus out of me! Will take bears over snakes any day.

User Tag List