Page 25 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I thought standard Ruger Bisley hammers don't retrofit to Blackhawks without some frame modification. Am I correct about this? Are there any quality aftermarket Bisley hammers that do?
    I thought I'd just read of folks dropping them in for the most part (on a Ruger forum). But I haven't dug deeply into it yet.
    I copy catted you out and got a 4 5/8 .45/ACP model.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Retro's N frame stable 625-7....28-2.......29-2.....all wearing Eagle Secret Service grips..................cya

The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Mike, or anyone else for that matter,
    Any idea what Craig Spegel charges for his wood grips. I like the idea of his "extended" boot grip (in the light colored maple) for my M28. I know it takes about 4 mos but I don't find pricing on his page.

Those grips look might good too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    mike, or anyone else for that matter,
    any idea what craig spegel charges for his wood grips. I like the idea of his "extended" boot grip (in the light colored maple) for my m28. I know it takes about 4 mos but i don't find pricing on his page.

Those grips look might good too.
    a hunnerd years ago i order a set of spegels and they were $110....eagle does have a large variety.....cya retro
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Mike, or anyone else for that matter,
    Any idea what Craig Spegel charges for his wood grips. I like the idea of his "extended" boot grip (in the light colored maple) for my M28. I know it takes about 4 mos but I don't find pricing on his page.
    He's not currently taking any orders. Last time I looked, Novak's had one set of Spegel J-frame grips left for about $250. I think I paid about $100-125 for the last set I bought from them. I've been checking eBay and Gunbroker pretty regularly and none are showing up there.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    He's not currently taking any orders. Last time I looked, Novak's had one set of Spegel J-frame grips left for about $250. I think I paid about $100-125 for the last set I bought from them. I've been checking eBay and Gunbroker pretty regularly and none are showing up there.
    Whoa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    a hunnerd years ago i order a set of spegels and they were $110....eagle does have a large variety.....cya retro
    Some plan B will do

Finally got a holster for my old .44 Mag Vaquero. Wes Hardin belt holster from El Paso. It's still pretty stiff, and difficult to seat the gun fully into it. I assume some oil and/or saddle soap should remedy that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I thought standard Ruger Bisley hammers don't retrofit to Blackhawks without some frame modification. Am I correct about this? Are there any quality aftermarket Bisley hammers that do?
    I'm not sure about Bisely Hammers, but the Super Blackhawk hammers have lower wider spurs are are drop in on any Blackhawk or full size Vaquero. I dont know if they work with the later, slightly smaller sive vaqueros and flat tops.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post

Finally got a holster for my old .44 Mag Vaquero. Wes Hardin belt holster from El Paso. It's still pretty stiff, and difficult to seat the gun fully into it. I assume some oil and/or saddle soap should remedy that?
    Nice holster. It looks similar to the holsters Ed Harris used in Riders of the Purple Sage

A holster maker I know tells me to use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle, damp the tight areas or places you want to fit the gun better and damp it down. Since your gun is stainless you can just leave it in while it dries without wrapping it in saran wrap. He siad ti use it on cartridge loops also. Leave them in to stretch them, leave them out to shrink them a little. Wet molded holsters can grip the gun somewhat like kydex. One friend damps his new holsters me makes and packs them between large blocks of clay to mold them to the gun. Ideally the holster should hold the gun upside down without dropping it, but let it go when intentionally drawn. So, you dont just want "loose" (easy to seat the gun or get it out but not hold it snugly), but well fitted.

SLG's thread about dialing in his 5" 629 made me think of this thread. Hopefully his comments about his .44 experiences can be added here.

I think I discussed it in a previous thread, but earlier this summer I went on a 2 day motorbike ride in Central ID. The sidearm of choice was my 329. Fun gun:

Well, at least fun to pack. It is tolerable with my general purpose/mid level loads, the 10 grains Unique and 240/250 cast. bullets.

I just recently picked up some crimson trace laser grips for this gun, as I was not at all satisfied with the factory V shaped rear blade, coupled with a F.O. round topped front sight. I replaced the front blade with another fiber optic, though in a conventional squared profile, with a green tritium in the normal position. I replaced the rear V blade with a standard target sighted one. No pics of the "new and improved "version, but when I zero it (hopefully soon) I will attempt to remedy that. I really like the laser grips for a low light defense revolver. As a long time user of the CT grips on my BUG J frame, I expect that they should work fine.

User Tag List