Page 22 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Initially, I thought the Bisley was the answer as it seemed to control recoil better. I went to some trouble switching frames over to the Bisley style. And, perhaps it does if measured by splits. However, what I figured out by accident with the chopped Blackhawk, was it rolls to the moon, but in the process dissipates recoil to places besides your hand.
    Blackhawk or Superblackhawk? Spl or mag?

Ruger doesn't seem to currently stock a configuration that I would want. Maybe the SuperBhawk in .44mag.

Somehow missed the new model bhawk in 44 spl. Better to get that, or have another of my 3 screw's converted? Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by SLG; 12-14-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: just found one...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Blackhawk or Superblackhawk? Spl or mag?

Ruger doesn't seem to currently stock a configuration that I would want. Maybe the SuperBhawk in .44mag.

Somehow missed the new model bhawk in 44 spl. Better to get that, or have another of my 3 screw's converted? Decisions, decisions...
    There is a 5.5" factory Bisley Stainless .44 Mag at Jackson Armory in Dallas that is unifred NIB........I just traded it in recently (because having a Tommy Gun was more important at that moment than the 23rd back up .44). That is a good barrel length for them and not always easy to find. My big boomer woods guns are 4 3/4 Super Blackhawks in .44 mag. The gigantic Hogue rubber grips help with the loads I use in them. Weirdly, my Ruger Super Alaskan in .454 feels the tamest in recoil, but I think that is all in the grip they use on them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Initially, I thought the Bisley was the answer as it seemed to control recoil better. I went to some trouble switching frames over to the Bisley style. And, perhaps it does if measured by splits. However, what I figured out by accident with the chopped Blackhawk, was it rolls to the moon, but in the process dissipates recoil to places besides your hand.

This has been my experience as well. I've had several Bisleys, but they never felt as comfortable in the hand or shooting as the regular Blackhawk or Super grip frame. I shoot the heavier 45 Colt bear loads (300-325 gr w/ 23 grs H-110 I believe) without a problem in the regular grip frames.

The Supers are flaired a bit more at the lower rear backstrap than I like, so I modified one. I liked the Casull grip. I traced the grip panels and overlaid them on a Super grip frame and welded and ground it to match. I did away with the square backed trigger guard also. Its not finished yet, it needs some decent grips.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    #LoveABisley
    That. Have one of those eyetalian replicas sitting broken in my safe.
    #RESIST

Lazy Sunday pics

I'm not much of a photographer, but here are some more. How do I rotate the pics to look right?

Name:  4%22 .44's.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  86.1 KBName:  Bowen .44.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  37.1 KBName:  M24.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  43.5 KB

Always liked the looks of a full lug 5 inch Smith but the Mountain gun models would be my choice for all day carry.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm not much of a photographer, but here are some more. How do I rotate the pics to look right?
    I dunno. Don't worry, I'm turning my head to compensate.

Right before I moved up to Indiana, I discovered I'd spent the last half-dozen years living one freeway exit... literally a rifle shot across the river as the crow flies ...from Hamilton Bowen's shop. Imagine my chagrin.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That. Have one of those eyetalian replicas sitting broken in my safe.
    A .44 Magnum Bisquero changed my life.

(I was taking the gun to drop off at home before going to work at the airport when that dude cleaned me off the bike with the front bumper of his Camry.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

If you spin the Ipad really fast, you can see it right for a split second.

Years ago I had a Sheriff's Bisquero custom built. One of my all-time favorites and the gun my Donder adn Blitzen black powder defense load was originally built for. Eventually, Ruger made some similar types of factory guns, but i still love my custom little monster. I find the Bisley easier to "run the gun" while standard grips will let the big boomers roll straight up and dissipate a bunch of the recoil.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Here is my Bowen Ruger. He did it for me before there were Scandium 329 revolvers, as a lightweight .44. I love it.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List