Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Why does/did Smith build their 4" 29's with target triggers? Or why did so many buy 'em that way? My 6" 29-2 is a great gun, but that TT sucks for DA work.
    The later 29's* had a medium width trigger compared to the earlier ones I've had. The one in the pic has the medium width, it was bought new in about '82.

I don't mind the target triggers, and seriously dislike the smooth ones. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round.

*Just realized how much I dated myself when I call a 30-some year old gun a "later" one.

This thread got my going through my pre-digital photo scrap books. I found this picture from 20 or 21 years ago, before we moved to Alaska. This is Dall sheep hunting in the Alaska Range. We were seven days into the hunt (and from a shower), getting low on food, and descending off the mountain back to main camp, I shot this caribou at 55 yards with a 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk, .44 magnum and Garrett ammo. Not a big bull, but protein was a good thing. We ended up getting our Dall sheep days 14 and 15 of a 10 day hunt. My wife was sponsored racing mountain bikes for Yeti at that time, and we both lost nearly 10 pounds on the hunt.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks for those great pictures! I love big bore revolvers. My toys include two early 3rd gen Colt New Frontiers in .44 Special (7 1/2" and 5 1/2") and a Ruger .45/.45ACP convertible New Model Blackhawk. The .45 convertible was nice when I had an unlimited supply of .45 ACP but doesn't get shot much today.

I'd love to find a 4" 29.

Ken

I don't have a spare 4" 29, but if you feel a desire to find a good home for one of the 44 NF's, I'd probably do all sorts of foolish things to find the money.

I found an acp cylinder for my vaquero. I don't actually shoot it much. Nice to have along on the road though, acp ammo is easier to find than 45 Colt loads in case I shot up what I take, and couldn't load more.

I'll play along. I traded Smith for Smith for this model 57. It was originally nickel, but the previous owner blued it when the nickel became worn. One of my favorite magnum calibers. I carry this while practicing for SAR in wilderness areas.

[IMG][/IMG]

My sole 'big-bore' wheelgun is an old-model, large-frame stainless .44 Mag Vaquero I lucked into a while back. I got into reloading solely to feed it. I still need to find some decent leather for it, too.

But I'm with Tam, that 4" 29 is dead sexy. That's a gun that's been around the block (or the ridgeline) a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    My sole 'big-bore' wheelgun is an old-model, large-frame stainless .44 Mag Vaquero I lucked into a while back. I got into reloading solely to feed it. I still need to find some decent leather for it, too.

But I'm with Tam, that 4" 29 is dead sexy. That's a gun that's been around the block (or the ridgeline) a time or two.

I was going to reply to Tams post, but wasn't sure what to say. "Do you want to shoot it some time?" seemed like it was open to um, misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The 29. The leather is a Threepersons type I had a friend make for me. I recently had it lined.
    I like all of them, but that 29 and rig have more character than a wagonload of Jesuits.

My middle child has been after me to add a wheelgun to the stable. I really hope he doesn't see this thread.

I was going to reply to Tams post, but wasn't sure what to say. "Do you want to shoot it some time?" seemed like it was open to um, misunderstanding.
    Let her get hands on that hogleg, and I doubt she'd care.

That said, who made the leather for your Rugers? I tried googling on the maker's mark, but it seems like that's an old company that's being emulated now rather than still actively making holsters.

I like the 29's quite a lot. I have a 4"er that I got in the early 80's, it's my favorite and most carried gun. I carry Ruger SA 45's some also. I tore a ligament in my right thumb years ago and found that I could shoot an SA much sooner than a DA (it was years before I could even shoot a 22 right handed). With heavy loads its pretty noticeable how much more comfortable the SA's are. I mostly shoot 9 grs Unique with the Lyman 429421 bullet, or a commercial equivalent. It's very comfortable to shoot, and flattens out trajectory noticeably over a 44 spl level load. It's not too difficult to bang the steel plate @ 300 yards with that load. I use the Keith load for the mountains (22 grs 2400/250 gr Lyman). I load a few 290 gr SWC loads and carry them now and then in a different 44. They run about 1225 fps in a 6" barrel.

I use a variety of loads in the 45's, the low end is a 250 @ 900 fps, the high end is a 325 gr @ about 1250 fps.

The 29. The leather is a Threepersons type I had a friend make for me. I recently had it lined.

Beautiful rig. Think it is a tad bit classier than my a Wilderness belt/Scandium 329 (Bowen customized)/Leatherman/Surefire combo?

I have a Bowen lightened and shortened stainless .44 magnum Ruger SA that is way more comfortable to shoot than much heavier a S&W and Ruger DA revolvers.

Is that snake shot and do you use it much?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List