Page 112 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1199

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Inspired by this thread and the wealth of knowledge it contains, I horse-traded for this hand cannon this week.

I don't know the history of this particular Model 58, other than the uniqueness of the caliber and rarity of the model. It's clear that at some point it went under the hand of an artisan for a hammer bob, a trigger job, and a matte refinish. The VZ grips are newly installed as the rubber grips it was wearing when it arrived were tired and worn. I intend to add a little bright paint to the front sight but other than that, it appears to be ready for carry.

Ammo is inbound as .41 Magnum is not a staple cartridge I keep on the shelf. Digging around in the holster stash to see what fits an N-frame 4" as well.

Name:  IMG-4298.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  image_50413057.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  image_50421761.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  65.4 KB

That's really, really cool.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    That's really, really cool.
    +1!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Ok, here's another one. Mea culpa... I totally forgot about this one. This thread made me think about what I have stored away in the gun safe and I realized I had (maybe) another pearl to show off.

Here it is - 1917 Colt (manufactured 1918), acquired from a pawn shop many years ago, already modified as you see, except the Pachmayr grips which I added. The wood grips that came with it were pretty well trashed and I'm skeptical they were even original.

I always though this was someone's project that got left unfinished and then their ungrateful children sold it for cash at the pawn shop, and I promised myself someday I would send it off to some artisan to be finished.

The barrel was cut-off square and the crown is solid, but there could be more of a softened, rounded edge at the muzzle. The front sight was cleanly soldered on, but as you can see, the finish was discolored from the heat. I finished the regulation on the front sight to closer to POA/POI with 230gr ball ammo by clamping it to a wooden shooting bench and filing on it at the range, and then promptly forgot to smooth out the file marks and cold-blue the bare metal.

The trigger is heavy in double-action, but smooth, and single action is crisp and light. The lock-up on these old Colts lasts forever, so this one is still the proverbial "bank-vault tight".

It looks like hell (subjective, although I think it's downright purdy) and shoots like a dream.

Name:  image_67216385.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  image_67167233.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  image_67184897.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  67.3 KB

That's really cool as well.
    I'd proudly own and shoot that.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Speaking of 41 Mags, Here is my Dad's old Model 58. Someone left it in a wet holster before he owned it so the finish is not that great.
    It had a set of diamond Magnas on it so I'm trying a set of VZs, not sure if they will stay.

Name:  20230109_121215.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  100.3 KB
    Name:  20230109_121204.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  100.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    Speaking of 41 Mags, Here is my Dad's old Model 58. Someone left it in a wet holster before he owned it so the finish is not that great.
    It had a set of diamond Magnas on it so I'm trying a set of VZs, not sure if they will stay.
    If you decide the VZs are not for you, I'd be glad to put them to good use at a fair price. I've got a Model 28 almost-unfired example that I think they would complement just fine.

Personally, I think the black cherry VZs 320s look just about right on just about everything. I've got a set on a Springfield Professional 1911 in 9mm. My wife refers to that gun as "the gun I like with the red handles"-- Bless her heart, she's not a gun person.

Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    It looks like hell (subjective, although I think it's downright purdy) and shoots like a dream.
    I think it looks beautiful, and like it might have some stories to tell...

-Rainman

@Colt191145lover those diamond grips on your 58 were specific to the 58. Smith didn't put them on any other pistol. They were called Detective grips, if I remember correctly. As such, very scarce, quite valuable.

Just FYI.

Nice old roller.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    @Colt191145lover those diamond grips on your 58 were specific to the 58. Smith didn't put them on any other pistol. They were called Detective grips, if I remember correctly. As such, very scarce, quite valuable.

Just FYI.

Nice old roller.
    I've seen then on older model 27 3.5 inch guns as well.

User Tag List