Page 109 of 120 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1199

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm still on the fence about the best all around holster for field and EDC but a threepersons is a solid choice
    Attachment 99127
    I have to admit, it’s odd to me in 2023 to see a holster that doesn’t cover the trigger.

Site Supporter
    The safety Nazis from the competition world have decided most of us are too stupid to learn or understand how to handle our revolvers or any handgun properly. This is fed regularly by anyone who hurts themselves doing something wrong or stupid and being convinced it has to be someone else's fault. In step the lawyers and the quality of our lives is diminished yet again.

Rant over,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Not pre ban ivory unfortunately but this Big Bear should pair nicely
    My wife and I discovered the Jim Bowie TV show last week, and she loves it.

ETA David Bowie was born David Jones. He admired the Bowie knife, and changed his name to David Bowie. Bowie also didn’t want to be confused with Davey Jones of The Monkees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FrankB; 01-18-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Nothing exciting but it is my big bore .45 Colt carry.

Name:  DSCF1801.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am really thinking about a big bore revolver. I think I may go with a M69 or the GP100 44 special... but I don't have any real trigger time on a DA 44. I had a Old style Vaquero (on the larger frame) in 45 colt. I hadn't shot SASS in more than a decade and I didn't like the fixed sights so I sold it.

This gun will be a cast bullet gun. Opinions and recommendations are appreciated.

Just noticed this post. Been busy with the chaos lately.

For a big bore that potentially is not going to be used in the role for large animal defense, I would say a single action such as the Ruger Convertible .45 Colt/ACP is hard to top. With the throats reamed to make sure they are consistent (if needed) they can be very accurate guns. Plus you can go from extremely mild loads that feel like you are shooting .38 wadcutters, to full on elephant stompers. It really is up to whatever you want, and what your hands and wrists will tolerate.

These are .45 Cowboy Specials which is simply .45 Colt cut to .45 ACP length, using the .45 Colt cylinder, shooting a 200 grain LSWC. There is a thread on here somewhere about them. Superbly accurate and easy to shoot with a red dot.

It is also fun to just sit in a lawn chair with a cold drink some place and ding distant steel with the same loads your 1911/Glock .45 ACP takes.

All of this is predicated upon you having another .45 auto. If you don't, and already are set up to load .44 Special/Mag, then that may be a better way to roll.

Personally I find myself using my little Ruger medium frame .45 Flattop Convertible more than any other single action when it is time to grab an SA gun. I don't shoot super heavy loads more than absolutely needed these days, so a 270 SWC at 900 or so is generally plenty for most things.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have to admit, it’s odd to me in 2023 to see a holster that doesn’t cover the trigger.
    Threepersons is a very old design, something of a "gun bucket" holster. The idea is hammer control negates the need for trigger control, as long as the hammer is locked down no amount of trigger pull will matter.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Threepersons is a very old design, something of a "gun bucket" holster. The idea is hammer control negates the need for trigger control, as long as the hammer is locked down no amount of trigger pull will matter.
    Bucket is an apt term. The one such holster I had offered almost no grip on the revolver when the strap was not snapped down. I saw that as a disadvantage in a field holster.

Site Supporter
    @SouthNarc. About that 45 Colt conversion. This revolver was able to safely fire heavy 38 ammo because of the thickness of its N frame. Metallurgy at the time was primitive compared to the present. Reaming the chambers to accept 45 Colt ammo removed metal. Likewise, screwing a 45 caliber barrel into the frame required enlarging this frame area.

My opinion is that unless you restrict ammo to low pressure factory ammo, damage to the revolver will occur. The weakest area is that part of frame where the barrel fits. The other is chamber walls.

I've owned 2 Blackhawk revolvers in 45colt :
    1, blued and an older pistol.
    The second was a newer 99/2k stainless model with the 4.75 barrel.
    The things you sell, or trade always seem like the thing to do at the moment.
    I'd love to have either one back.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    I too owned several 45 Colts and should have kept most. My remaining 45 Colt is a New Model Vaquero built on a somewhat smaller frame not suited for hot loads. Accuracy is excellent, and it's fixed sights shoot to poi. It's the best put together Ruger revolver I've ever seen. I was lucky to get it. I bought it used but unfired from a guy who won it in a raffle. It's one of my sock drawer handguns now that I no longer get out much. One day I'll sell to little boy whose the son of the big dude with the hound dog in his avatar.

User Tag List