Page 102 of 120 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1199

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Yeah, but does it still work?

I brought out a new battery and a few rounds of an ammo I already chronoed. It work just fine. Lucky I know

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Attachment 98658

Out breaking trail to my shooting spot. I couldn't find my chronograph before I left. I had a feeling I left it in the woods last week.

Woops
    Attachment 98659
    You guys are killin' me with the wood grips.

I broke down and bought a set of smooth Altimonts.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    These 270 gr rimrocks are nice looking bullets
    Attachment 98187
    You can cast your own with small effort for less than $200 spent on equipment. I still have lead despite selling a ton. I will give your son a lubrisizer and enough lead to keep you busy. As you know, I've been trying to convince you to start casting. You need a mold and a melting pot. My lead is clean. No scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You can cast your own with small effort for less than $200 spent on equipment. I still have lead despite selling a ton. I will give your son a lubrisizer and enough lead to keep you busy. As you know, I've been trying to convince you to start casting. You need a mold and a melting pot. My lead is clean. No scrap.
    Oh jeez you're killing me. I've been on the edge to start casting since forever.

Site Supporter
    Oh jeez you're killing me. I've been on the edge to start casting since forever.
    Great! I knew you would come to your senses. Let's wait until the holiday shipping has subsided. I will study mold selection to identify those casting bullets that best fit the Smith cylinder. A couple places offer custom molds at reasonable prices. We'll select one throwing wheel weight lead at .452-.453. Technology permits you to specify. I have ingredients for tumble lubing allowing you to skip using lubrisizer--in most cases. Ditto for .38.

Slippery slope ahead.

The best part about casting is the control you have over your finished product. Out of a specific bullet? Assuming you have the mould, get thee to the garage. An hour can get you a long way towards independence.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    The best part about casting is the control you have over your finished product. Out of a specific bullet? Assuming you have the mould, get thee to the garage. An hour can get you a long way towards independence.
    Its a satisfying feeling knowing you can make something you need if regular supplies get difficult.

Another fun factor, it lets you try weird, cool stuff. I came into a 77 gr 32 acp bullet I want to try for extra-light 30-30 loads besides will work for 32 S&W long, and I have a 115 gr 38 swc, 121 gr 38 RN, an old school 38 wadcutter that seats about 1/3 out of the case and other obscure old things. The 330 HP 45-70 mold needs to get warmed up, as does the 44 215 gr swc gas check mold for medium level pistol and carbine loads. Many report good results without the gas checks for lighter loads. Theres a guy that will make normal molds into hollowpoints also. they can have non-hollowpoint plugs put in to make solids with the same blocks.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Casting and even reloading your own ammo does not save you any money. What it does is allow you to produce more ammunition for the money you were going to spend anyway. And if you really get into it you will end up spending more than you would have to start with. Ask me how I know these things. (smile)

Dave

User Tag List