Page 101 of 120 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1199

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

I really want to try a set of Herrett's Ropers on my Mountain gun

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've been carrying the mountain gun a lot. If I'm not at work, I'm carrying it. My Kramer scabbard is comfortable and very concealable. I just can't wear it with a pack so I use my elpasso saddlery threepersons for those times.

It's really no comparison to my old 4" redhawk. I regret waiting so long.

43.7oz with 6 270gr rounds. I think the redhawk was like 10oz heavier.
    I carried the Mountain Gun a lot during a 2019 CEQA project at the site in the photos below, and it was great. The stainless survived morning fog and winter rain/snow at 3,000 feet elevation, and banging into the occasional Douglas fir branch. We were out there for days at a time camping on the ridgetop because it was an hour to the nearest retail cup of coffee, and it was a year-long project, full biological baseline characterization. We had game cameras out so we knew what was there... lots of black bear in the forested valleys, a few feral pigs in the meadows, so I wanted a big bore. Also two face to face mountain lion encounters. I often had to back up younger biologists doing spotted owl surveys at night. It's a rugged site so weight matters; 3,600 acre private ranch, 27 miles of dirt/mud/occasionally gravel roads, 1,100 feet elevation relief, some of the slopes 1:1. It was interesting that our chosen camp spot turned out to be right next to a major cultural resources site dating back a few thousand years, a pair of large seasonal habitations with arrowheads and pestles literally strewn on the ground. Just on the lee side of the ridge where it's out of the sometimes high prevailing winds.

Oh, and see those clearings in the distance in the photo on the right? Illegal cannabis grows, plainly visible on Google Earth. I counted nine of them from the ridgetop, some just a short distance off the clients property. So yeah, we didn't go out there unarmed.

Name:  IMG_2183.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  62.2 KBName:  IMG_2328.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  43.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Any good excuse to post more big bore photos. Here's a 29-2 with Culina's.

Attachment 98416
    Those grips are sweet.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Just ordered a set of Jerry's grips from the blue press..

Looking frome the rear they look a little wider at the top.

The standard hogues tend to sting at the top after 100rounds of 250s @1050fps. I think a little wider will be better. I typically like hogue finger groves but I guess I'll see how no finger groves grips work.

I painted the front sight yesterday and shot today. Big difference on dark targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Any good excuse to post more big bore photos. Here's a 29-2 with Culina's.

Attachment 98416
    That is gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just ordered a set of Jerry's grips from the blue press..

Looking frome the rear they look a little wider at the top.

The standard hogues tend to sting at the top after 100rounds of 250s @1050fps. I think a little wider will be better. I typically like hogue finger groves but I guess I'll see how no finger groves grips work.

I painted the front sight yesterday and shot today. Big difference on dark targets.
    What color?

I've often thought of really changing out this gun, Bowen rears, and a more visible front.

Then I shoot it again, in stock configuration, and the love affair begins again.
    TK customs is definitely in the future tho, as the ability to go 45acp and the long colt is really appealing.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    What color?

I've often thought of really changing out this gun, Bowen rears, and a more visible front.

Then I shoot it again, in stock configuration, and the love affair begins again.
    TK customs is definitely in the future tho, as the ability to go 45acp and the long colt is really appealing.
    I think that may be the perfect "Town and Country" big bore revolver. In town you can drop in some 230 Grain HSTs or something similar, out in the boonies, shoot a 250 grain hardcast going 1000-ish FPS. I'm thinking the POI/POA of those two loads shouldn't be too different?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    I really want to try a set of Herrett's Ropers on my Mountain gun
    I had a set of Ropers on my .44 MG for a couple years but age and arthritis pushed me to replace them with Jordan Troopers. Not as sexy, but much less painful to shoot. Earlier this year, I ordered a set of Troopers for my 29-2, too. Probably the best money spent in 2022. Long live figured walnut!

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    What color?

Orange. I'll still probably order a sdm gold dot front sight eventually.

Moon clips are certainly calling me too. I just don't want to send it out now lol.

I went camping last night and obviously carried my MG and my m92
    Name:  IMG_20221214_193608.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20221214_202423.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20221218_142049.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  28.0 KB

Out breaking trail to my shooting spot. I couldn't find my chronograph before I left. I had a feeling I left it in the woods last week.

Woops
    Name:  IMG_20221218_134440.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  19.2 KB

User Tag List