Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Nice shooting. Please excuse the thread drift but is it possible to replace the squared off trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk? I find it makes shooting two handed pretty uncomfortable.
    I’m pretty sure it is, but I think it requires replacement of the entire grip frame. I’m sure there are more informed folks here who can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’m pretty sure it is, but I think it requires replacement of the entire grip frame. I’m sure there are more informed folks here who can answer that.

That is correct. It does require replacing the grip frame. That said, grip frame swaps are really not a big deal at all.

PICS!!

From high up in the Lost River Range!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That is correct. It does require replacing the grip frame. That said, grip frame swaps are really not a big deal at all.

PICS!!

From high up in the Lost River Range!

"Hello. My name is Lost River and I'm cooler than you."
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

This thread is in part responsible for my latest purchase, a 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. The photo is on the LGS counter during DROS, this being California our government doesn't trust us enough to do away with the 10-day wait even when we already legally have another revolver in our pocket which seems pretty irrational.

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  44.5 KB

I know the LGS owner fairly well, so besides knocking a little extra off the price he gave me the back story. This one and several others just came in on consignment a few days ago from a retired CHP guy who is now in his mid-70s and can't shoot big bore anymore because of severe arthritis. He apparently traded for a .22 as part of the deal and that's what he shoots now. He says most of what he consigned has had one box of ammo through it and then went in the safe, and that's entirely possible for this 625. A couple of very minor scuffs on it, otherwise like new, rock solid lockup. The test casing is still in the S&W box.

The Hogue's fit my hand well enough but the tops have warped a little away from the frame during all that storage time and the slight bit of give is annoying, and I'm not really a fan of finger grooves. So I'm looking around and thinking about some different stocks. On the way back I picked up some 45 Colt reloading dies and some Starline brass, will probably order some 255 gr bullets online and have a box all loaded well before pickup day.

For the past several years I've been focused on a large local project, which is atypical for me... there's nothing larger than black bear here unless one believes in bigfoot, so various semi-autos and .357 revolvers have been plenty adequate. I'm now moving on to new projects so could be back to my more typical and wider ranging travel patterns soon, so I want something a little bigger available in case of a short notice trip to someplace where that's a smarter choice. At the same time I wanted a stainless gun, because here it rains all winter. Last week I was on a remote site in 40 mph winds and horizontal sheeting heavy rain, and my polymer HK handled that just fine but I'd sure hate to subject a classic blued revolver to a few days of that. And the mountain gun at 36 oz should be good on those all day hikes. I may head to the backcountry early in the new year to test it out.

I'm off to browse holsters and speedloaders...
    Last edited by Salamander; 12-22-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This thread is in part responsible for my latest purchase, a 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt.
    Congratulations! Those things are frigging awesome!

The Hogue's fit my hand well enough but the tops have warped a little away from the frame during all that storage time and the slight bit of give is annoying, and I'm not really a fan of finger grooves. So I'm looking around and thinking about some different stocks.
    The best stocks that I have found, for shooting the gun with full power loads, have been Pachmayrs. I wish it weren't so as those things are absolutely hideous, but they really do make a big difference once the gun starts to recoil some - especially if you shoot more than a few rounds at a time. (I've shot the IDPA classifier, back when it was 90 rounds long, more than once with my Mountain Gun. 250 grain bullets at 900fps should make the power factor for Stock Service Revolver, right? ) If you do find something more pleasing to the eye that works as well in the recoil mitigation department, please do share.

If you're into HKS speedloaders, AFAIK they've stopped making the model 25-5 which was intended specifically for this gun. However, at least when using Magtech ammunition or cases, I've actually had better luck with HKS model 29-M; their N-frame .44 speedloader. Using different casings or ammunition, YMMV though.

This thread is in part responsible for my latest purchase, a 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. The photo is on the LGS counter during DROS, this being California our government doesn't trust us enough to do away with the 10-day wait even when we already legally have another revolver in our pocket which seems pretty irrational.

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  44.5 KB

I know the LGS owner fairly well, so besides knocking a little extra off the price he gave me the back story. This one and several others just came in on consignment a few days ago from a retired CHP guy who is now in his mid-70s and can't shoot big bore anymore because of severe arthritis. He apparently traded for a .22 as part of the deal and that's what he shoots now. He says most of what he consigned has had one box of ammo through it and then went in the safe, and that's entirely possible for this 625. A couple of very minor scuffs on it, otherwise like new, rock solid lockup. The test casing is still in the S&W box.

The Hogue's fit my hand well enough but the tops have warped a little away from the frame during all that storage time and the slight bit of give is annoying, and I'm not really a fan of finger grooves. So I'm looking around and thinking about some different stocks. On the way back I picked up some 45 Colt reloading dies and some Starline brass, will probably order some 255 gr bullets online and have a box all loaded well before pickup day.

For the past several years I've been focused on a large local project, which is atypical for me... there's nothing larger than black bear here unless one believes in bigfoot, so various semi-autos and .357 revolvers have been plenty adequate. I'm now moving on to new projects so could be back to my more typical and wider ranging travel patterns soon, so I want something a little bigger available in case of a short notice trip to someplace where that's a smarter choice. At the same time I wanted a stainless gun, because here it rains all winter. Last week I was on a remote site in 40 mph winds and horizontal sheeting heavy rain, and my polymer HK handled that just fine but I'd sure hate to subject a classic blued revolver to a few days of that. And the mountain gun at 36 oz should be good on those all day hikes. I may head to the backcountry early in the new year to test it out.

Congratulations on your acquisition.
    I have owned the same gun since their release.
    It's my favorite big bore, even over the 44 magnum
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

... And now you'll need a 16" lever to accompany it.

This thread is in part responsible for my latest purchase, a 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt.
    Nice. I looked at one of those a while back. If I find one in .45acp I likely won't be able to resist.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Nice. I looked at one of those a while back. If I find one in .45acp I likely won't be able to resist.
    Sadly, I used to own one in 45acp, and traded it away.

pictured @ the top, along with the Mountain Gun and the "625 of 1989".

Name:  625's.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  49.4 KB

I have a 5" 625 Model of 1989, lots of fun to shoot. But dang that Mountain Gun was nice.

User Tag List