Page 85 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Any provision for a lanyard ring on that one? I'd hate to see that rig end up in Davey Jones's locker.

Okie John
    Unfortunately no. I do love lanyards for outdoor usage though. It just seems my favorite revolver grips cover the bottom of the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Unfortunately no. I do love lanyards for outdoor usage though. It just seems my favorite revolver grips cover the bottom of the grip.

Those grips ought to be readily modifiable for a lanyard opening, if the frame has one. I could even see mounting a sling swivel stud to the bottom of the frame and running a paracord loop through it with a suitably fancy knot at the end.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    At one time, Hogue offered a lanyard loop that took the place of the screw at the bottom of their grip. I don't know if they still do.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 10-09-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    At one time, Hogue offered a lanyard loop that took the place of the screw at the bottom of their grip. I don't know if they still do.
    I don’t think they are on Hogues site. I called them and ordered a few of each size (they came in at least two lengths). I have one on my 629. One of my GP100s will get one. I also need to check a friends LCR to see if it takes the same screw (she wears it OWB while trail riding).

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I remember those. Too good of an idea to be commercially viable for more than a year or so.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Those grips ought to be readily modifiable for a lanyard opening, if the frame has one. I could even see mounting a sling swivel stud to the bottom of the frame and running a paracord loop through it with a suitably fancy knot at the end.
    I wonder if I could Dremel a slot and use a pin for a loop.

Geeze, dremeling ahrends. Who'd a thunk it

I wonder if I could Dremel a slot and use a pin for a loop.

Geeze, dremeling ahrends. Who'd a thunk it
    A couple of turns of fiberglass strapping tape around the bottom of the frame and sticking out the bottom of the grips is a good temporary solution. Looks horrible but it works.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Name:  IMG_20211009_140459.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  40.9 KB

Just a short hike to my shooting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A couple of turns of fiberglass strapping tape around the bottom of the frame and sticking out the bottom of the grips is a good temporary solution. Looks horrible but it works.

Okie John
    Loop of paracord passed through the bottom of the grips... then maybe just a wee bit of work with a chainsaw round file to make a permanent channel?

I vaguely recall that someone made an extended shank lanyard loop for revolvers, but I dont recall who, maybe Smith or Ruger?

I used a Smith lanyard ring in the butt of a Ruger SA, but I havent ever actually used it. I envisioned it for use in deep snow primarily, but I havent spent much time wandering in deep snow, contrary to the younger mes expectations (and Im not the least bit disappointed).

Ive used the lanyard hole on the glock as a night gun when camping, grab the cord, loop it around the neck, step out into the darkness to look at the stars for a few moments with 15 europellets of goodness on board,...no gear, clothes, whatever required for middle of the night armed spontaneous stargazing...

...of course, the tanker type holster with a Smith N frame also serves that duty well.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List