Page 82 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You just needed the right ammo Friend!

A 175 grain wadcutter at 785 FPS turns .44s into kittens.

Yup. I reload and have/had a nice light load for 44 (250gr SWC with 7gr Trail Boss), but if I'm going to download 44, I'm essentially duplicating what I shoot in my 625 (230gr RN over a light load of BE in AR brass), so it became superfluous to my needs. That was eventually did it for me. I wasn't taking advantage of the power of a 44mag and I have two other 4" N-frames that are just as suitable on the light-to-mid power levels.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Malamute,

Yep, that'd be the one. At least for me. I pulled both of your pics off of the Leverguns site years ago and have used both for background/lock pics for years! Thank you!

Cat

This one?

Attachment 76238

Attachment 76237

May as well put the well known 29 pic up with the smooth rosewoods, my favorite N grip.

Attachment 76243
    Malamute:

If you are ever dumb enough to sell either the Model 29 or Model 94, I'd gladly buy either or both. As they say back east, "I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a twinkie..."

You have incredible taste in firearms and dogs.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

The rosewoods are temporarily on something else, I worked down some factory checkered targets that are on the 29 for the moment.

Attachment 76210
    I hate yall. Not really but ... I hate yall. Those are beautiful works of art.

A 4 inch 29 would complete my .44 set.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup. I reload and have/had a nice light load for 44 (250gr SWC with 7gr Trail Boss), but if I'm going to download 44, I'm essentially duplicating what I shoot in my 625 (230gr RN over a light load of BE in AR brass), so it became superfluous to my needs. That was eventually did it for me. I wasn't taking advantage of the power of a 44mag and I have two other 4" N-frames that are just as suitable on the light-to-mid power levels.

Chris
    I bought a 625 about 10 years ago and I shoot it more than any revolver I have. I think I have 5 or 6 K and J frames. My 625 is the only N frame I have and I likely won't be buying another. I've contemplated a 44 mag or 44 special but as you say, what's the point unless you already own a mag and want to download it. I do that with my model 19's. My only regret is my 625 isn't a prelock but it shoots just fine with a red dot on it. 50 yds is easy with old eyes. The early ones weren't pre drilled to accept scope and dot mounts so that's an advantage. I'm not hunting with it so no need for those bone crushing loads.

I just traded into some 44 Mag dies and brass in case I come across a good deal on a lever rifle. I missed a Browning 92 by a few bucks awhile back on an auction site because homey don't get into bidding wars.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-26-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I had been looking for a field carry with a 4" barrel. stainless and in my favorite caliber of .41magnum. Not many around so I decided to make what I wanted. I really like the Ruger Redhawk and I was lucky enough to find a 5 1/2" version that was stainless and in .41magnum. A buddy let me use his machine shop and I cut the barrel to 4", cut a slot in the top for a new front sight and re-crowned the barrel. I dehorned the whole gun, rounded the grip and wood grip panels and did some trigger work to make the DA pull smoother and a bit lighter. I have been carrying it anytime I go into the woods for about 15 years now and I have harvested several feral hogs and a coyote with it.
    Name:  4 Redhawk.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  72.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I have no regrets selling a 629 mountain gun. That gun would have been about a thousand times better in .45 colt.
    yeah, I should have bought a 625 MG years ago when a buddy of mine had one for sale. That said, my 629 MG gets loaded with a Lee 310 RNFP over Red Dot for about 940 FPS. Does anything that I need it to do down here without beating me up too bad.

Don't you just love it when you come back from the bathroom and find your food waiting for you? -The Philosopher Mia Wallace (Pulp Fiction, C. 1994)

That's the way I feel when I do a check-in on this thread and realize I have a couple months of drool to catch up on. I think it is because it is on the old system, but this thread doesn't show up in the Revolvers section, right? You have to search for it or have notifications turned on? Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I have one of the original runs of the "Mountain Guns". The revolver was originally made for Ross Seyfreid an IPSC world champion, handgunner and a handgun hunter. He was also a big game guide in Colorado.
    Tom Campbell an engineer at Smith and Wesson built the original for Seyfreid. They are a handful to shoot, but I run mine with a 260 Keith at 1050fps. Accurate and doable.

The MG is the upper of the two N frames. The other is a 624.
    @Zeke38 I wasn't aware of the back story on the Mountain Gun, that's pretty cool. I was late to the game on learning a lot of the who, when and why and it is a pretty interesting wormhole to get down. Oh and tell us about that engraving and those stocks on the 624! Drooooool.

This thread needs more .44s

Oof. I need to give in and fully baptize myself in the name of the wheel gun and start loading some wadcutters. I don't know what is that is broken inside me that 100% wants to carry a higher capacity 9mm, maybe even with a red dot as a defensive gun for the modern world we live in...then the other part of me just wants to lob giant chunks of lead at even "mild for the cartridge" velocities as therapeutic and nostalgic enjoyment. Too cool.

The rosewoods are temporarily on something else, I worked down some factory checkered targets that are on the 29 for the moment.

Attachment 76210
    *Airs out shirt collar*

Quote Originally Posted by Tex41mag View Post
    I had been looking for a field carry with a 4" barrel. stainless and in my favorite caliber of .41magnum. Not many around so I decided to make what I wanted. I really like the Ruger Redhawk and I was lucky enough to find a 5 1/2" version that was stainless and in .41magnum. A buddy let me use his machine shop and I cut the barrel to 4", cut a slot in the top for a new front sight and re-crowned the barrel. I dehorned the whole gun, rounded the grip and wood grip panels and did some trigger work to make the DA pull smoother and a bit lighter. I have been carrying it anytime I go into the woods for about 15 years now and I have harvested several feral hogs and a coyote with it.
    Name:  4 Redhawk.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  72.0 KB
    Machine shop buddies are good buddies to have. That thing turned out awesome.

----------

Ruger via Lipsey's is finally doing it: .44 Magnum Bisleys in 4.62" and 5.5" barrels. Yes, there were the Accusport guns etc. in brief runs in the past, but these guns have been a gaping hole in the Ruger lineup for far longer than I've been in to single actions. I had a nice exchange with Jason Cloessner at Lipsey's a year or so ago being the likely 10,000th person to ask for these. I can't not buy one now that it is happening. I really struggled with which barrel length to go with on my .44 Special flat top and ended up with the shorter gun, which I like a lot.

Bisley, unfluted cylinders with no ugly roll mark, pinned front sights for easy upgrade via Fermin Garza. This would be my platform for playing with 300+ grain bullets I think. *Hits inhaler*

For this gun I'm thinking 5.5", but I'd let PF tell me why they'd choose differently.

I'm just waiting for them to hit dealers. It's the only gun I've ever had pause about mentioning to people because I don't want buying competition. Hahaha.

Last edited by Adam; 09-12-2021 at 10:34 AM.

----------

Ruger via Lipsey's is finally doing it: .44 Magnum Bisleys in 4.62" and 5.5" barrels. Yes, there were the Accusport guns etc. in brief runs in the past, but these guns have been a gaping hole in the Ruger lineup for far longer than I've been in to single actions. I had a nice exchange with Jason Cloessner at Lipsey's a year or so ago being the likely 10,000th person to ask for these. I can't not buy one now that it is happening. I really struggled with which barrel length to go with on my .44 Special flat top and ended up with the shorter gun, which I like a lot.

Bisley, unfluted cylinders with no ugly roll mark, pinned front sights for easy upgrade via Fermin Garza. This would be my platform for playing with 300+ grain bullets I think. *Hits inhaler*

For this gun I'm thinking 5.5", but I'd let PF tell me why they'd choose differently.

I'm just waiting for them to hit dealers. It's the only gun I've ever had pause about mentioning to people because I don't want buying competition. Hahaha.

[/QUOTE]

I saw that on Ruger’s site last week and have been checking online for one in stock. I’m going to see about a semi local to me shop about trying to get one in.

User Tag List