Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Todays hike. I brought my blackhawk.

Saw a bear cub scoot into the woods

Name:  20200712_174249.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  71.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Todays hike. I brought my blackhawk.

Name:  20200712_174249.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  71.0 KB
    Just noted your change of locale has come to fruition... welcome to free America!

Post-covid, we’ll have to find some time to hit the range again.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Just noted your change of locale has come to fruition... welcome to free America!

Post-covid, we’ll have to find some time to hit the range again.
    Thanks, its a plan

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'd not like to see that. It means that mama is nearby and I didn't see her.

One of my scarier moments in the woods came when I was hunting feral cattle in Hawaii and suddenly found myself ankle deep in what seemed like a dozen piglets. I could hear mama pig popping her jaws but I couldn't see her. My 9.3x62 was less comforting than I expected, so I backed out of the woods until I couldn't see any of them or hear the jaws, then moved out smartly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I just went through this entire thread a second time and I must say that I’d be lying if it didn’t make me tempted to take my wife up on her burning desire to move to Alaska for a few years just for shits and giggles.

I bought a Ruger Wrangler earlier this year and that bloody thing is a grin. It also didn’t scratch the single action itch like I thought it would, so I’m going to need to scoop a New Model Blackhawk after I make some other purchases. I’m pretty much set on .45Colt because of versatility, handloading, and ‘Murica. The only real question I have is...4 5/8” or 5.5”?

Barrel length

I have a New Model Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP convertible, model number 0472. It has the 5.5" barrel. I like it from the aspect of casual, off the bench shooting. If I had to do it again, I would go with the 4.62" barrel. I say this from the sole aspect of easier to carry and get into action. But if you are going to Alaska or use the revolver on 4 legged critters, the long barrel may serve you with better ballistics. If you have the opportunity to handle both firearms, that would go a long way towards your final decision. Since you reload, are you going to use "Ruger only" loads?

As I am typing this response, a Ruger Vaquero might be an option. I like the lines of those revolvers, but not for Ruger only loads.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The only real question I have is...4 5/8” or 5.5”?
    I prefer 5.5, but both have their fan bases. Just make sure to get a convertible with a 45 ACP cylinder.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have a New Model Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP convertible, model number 0472. It has the 5.5" barrel. I like it from the aspect of casual, off the bench shooting. If I had to do it again, I would go with the 4.62" barrel. I say this from the sole aspect of easier to carry and get into action. But if you are going to Alaska or use the revolver on 4 legged critters, the long barrel may serve you with better ballistics. If you have the opportunity to handle both firearms, that would go a long way towards your final decision. Since you reload, are you going to use "Ruger only" loads?

As I am typing this response, a Ruger Vaquero might be an option. I like the lines of those revolvers, but not for Ruger only loads.
    The New Vaqueros are definitely sexy as hell, but I like the concept of better and adjustable sights on the Blackhawk. I don’t technically reload yet, still have to get the bench and press setup, but once I’m able to churn out good loads of 9mm en masse I’d imagine switching over to .45Colt wouldn’t exactly be rocket surgery. If I do eventually get up to Alaska on a longterm basis I’d probably be running hotter loads just for the bigger things on four legs, but it’d be a secondary to either a 12ga with Brennekes or a .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I prefer 5.5, but both have their fan bases. Just make sure to get a convertible with a 45 ACP cylinder.

Okie John
    Yeah, I mean, that couldn’t hurt, right? How does the convertible cylinder work for .45Auto? Don’t you have to use moonclips of some sort due to the lack of a rimmed case?

Site Supporter
    How does the convertible cylinder work for .45Auto? Don’t you have to use moonclips of some sort due to the lack of a rimmed case?
    I have no direct experience with the convertible cylinder in a SA, but I can shoot 45acp without moonclips in my 625. I have to pluck the cases out with my fingernail one at a time. With an SA and the ejector rod, you don't have to pluck them out at all, the rod does it for you.

Chris

Yeah, I mean, that couldn’t hurt, right? How does the convertible cylinder work for .45Auto? Don’t you have to use moonclips of some sort due to the lack of a rimmed case?
    No. It headspaces on the case mouth just like in an auto pistol. The ejector rod of a single action doesn't depend on the case rim, it comes up into the case and punches it out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List