Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    ----------

4.62" and 5.5" barrels.

For this gun I'm thinking 5.5", but I'd let PF tell me why they'd choose differently.

FWIW, ages ago when the fluted cylinder blackhawk size grip frame 44 mags (standard Blackhawk style format but marked "Super Blackhawk") came out I grabbed one. The only barrel length in the fluted cyl was 5 1/2", which I didnt really care for but wasnt a big deal in and of itself, however, once I started thinking about holsters, and that I already had a number of good 4 5/8" size holsters on hand, I had the barrel chopped to 4 5/8" and never looked back. That was far simpler than trying to replicate good holsters I already had and liked to fit a slightly longer barrel of ONE gun. The likelihood at that point was it probably wouldnt get carried much, so....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I saw that on Ruger’s site last week and have been checking online for one in stock. I’m going to see about a semi local to me shop about trying to get one in.
    Jason at Lipsey's has just said they're hoping to roll them out "Q4" and "by the end of the year" so not sure when they'll hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    FWIW, ages ago when the fluted cylinder blackhawk size grip frame 44 mags (standard Blackhawk style format but marked "Super Blackhawk") came out I grabbed one. The only barrel length in the fluted cyl was 5 1/2", which I didnt really care for but wasnt a big deal in and of itself, however, once I started thinking about holsters, and that I already had a number of good 4 5/8" size holsters on hand, I had the barrel chopped to 4 5/8" and never looked back. That was far simpler than trying to replicate good holsters I already had and liked to fit a slightly longer barrel of ONE gun. The likelihood at that point was it probably wouldnt get carried much, so....
    Good insight. This is absolutely a "just because" gun. In my unfortunately currently-not-that-often need to carry a heavy gun, a 4" 629 is pretty much always my choice at those times. As a whole I like the portability and handiness of 4"-ish guns and for what I'm planning to use it for (recreation and maybe modest range hunting) I think it is probably moot either way. The 6 1/2" guns are definitely more barrel than I want but between 4.62 and 5.5 if I'm not going to regularly be carrying it for long periods of time, maybe not a huge issue either way. I'll likely get a Barranti Outfitter with the dual carry strong side and crossdraw belt loop they came out with a couple years ago.

For this gun I'm thinking 5.5", but I'd let PF tell me why they'd choose differently.
    I like a 4” Model 29 for any time that I might use the gun defensively. For hunting, I’ll take all the barrel I can get.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My GP100 10mm has won the starting spot as my big-bore/all-round revolver (which is sort of a holy grail for me.) I figure .400 is the minimum to qualify as a “big bore.”

Many thanks to Outpost75 for his advice that lead me to this load (he’s pioneered 10mm revolver loads and I think was in on the design of this mould).

It groups 5 228-grain cast bullets with a big fat meplat into 2” at 50 yards from the bench. Average velocity is 970 FPS. That’s perfect for a general purpose load that can handle anything on 2 or 4 legs in my neck of the woods. And it fits in a medium-frame, 6-shot revolver.

Recoil is more manageable than a 1911 .45 or a .357 magnum, so fast (for me) DA repeat shots aren’t a problem.

Home-cast bullets are a requirement for me so I can afford to shoot it, A LOT. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=40-224H. My 5-cavity cranks them out fast.

This is a plain-base bullet cast from WW + 2% tin, sized .402 to match the chamber throats. No one makes this size for Lyman/RCBS sizers, so I had to get one made by a member over on castboolits (cost about $3 more than off-the-shelf.) Using RCBS lube (which is soft and cheap) it hasn’t shown a spec of leading. Judging by the report/recoil, it’s well below SAAMI max, so the GP should easily handle a regular diet of them..

While the rig is concealable under a cover-garment in a Garret Silent Thunder OWB, it won’t be an EDC, but will be on my hip when out at the ranch, where concealment isn’t as much of an issue since rural folks don’t freak when they see a gun.

Now that I’ve found THE gun/load and we’re out of the triple-digit temps in my part of Texas, I’ll be visiting the country more. The GP will be charged with a factory moon clip to facilitate extraction, with reloads carried in quick strips. The diameter of the 10mm case head is close enough to .38 special rims that it can use the same strips (they can also share a shell holder.) Accuracy is the same with or without moons.

It wears a Swamp Fox Justice RD in an EGW mount. I know Rugers have a reputation for not playing well with red dots using no-smith mounts, but no problems so far. If it starts shifting zero, I’ll take it to a smith to drill & tap another mounting screw (I might do it anyway for peace of mind.)

Can’t wait to try it out on my feral hogs.

IMR 4227 has turned out to be a most useful powder. It delivers great accuracy in my .300 BO pistol, .357 magnum, and now 10mm. Enough so that I just took delivery of an 8lb keg. I just need bulk 10m brass to become available again.

Next application for 4227 will be working up .357 Maxiumum loads for IHMSA, and trying it in my .22 Hornet.

I’m sure my quest for the ultimate all-around revolver will continue until I’m planted, but it’s on hold for now.

I have a 4 5/8” 44 Special Ruger Bisley in blue. I’d like to have a 5 1/2 44 Special in stainless but this new 44 will do if I find one first.

Sign me up for a new Ruger Bisley 44 4 5/8s. Dang Lipsey's got me again.

Years ago I wanted the 5 1/2” stainless Bisley 44 Magnum and thought about putting one together but never got around to it. I have a 5” 629 Classic if I really need to do some magnum shooting but I’ll most likely get the new Ruger.

I’ll post here as soon as I have mine. Y’all wait until after that, ya buzzards! 😀

Four and five eighths is the only correct barrel length for a single action roller. Everyone knows that!

Cat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Four and five eighths is the only correct barrel length for a single action roller. Everyone knows that!

Cat
    I beg to differ. Four and three quarters of an inch is in fact the best barrel length for a single action, particularly one chambered for the correct SA cartridge, the 45 Colt. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

PS: For the OP's application in 44 Magnum I would recommend the 5-1/2" barrel. Longer barrels make Magnums even more magnum.

User Tag List