Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I bought one of the first 44 mag mountain guns I saw, I dont recall the year but I think it was '89 or early 90s. The local grocery store had a small section with guns. I filled out the paperwork, the manager put the gun on the conveyor, the checkout girl ran it through, I still have the grocery store receipt with "Gun" on it.

Ive had a 4" blue 29 since about 82, in shooting the new mountain gun, it was noticeably sharper recoiling with full power loads than the standard weight 29. The mountain also had the pachmayr round but K grips, the 28 smooth rosewoods I worked down a bit. The lure of the few ounces less carry weight faded quickly,and Ive never been able to warm up to stainless guns, the mountain didnt last long.

A blued mountain gun in 45 Colt would be nice, though I usually shoot medium loads in the 29 (9 grs Unique/240-250 gr cast), so there isnt much reason to spring for the only slightly different gun in this case. The regular 25-5 blued guns are nice, but the one I looked at used had the common (for that time) loose chambers and empties would easily get under the extractor star with the thin rim of the 45 Colt. It may not be an issue in actual practice, but I decided to just stay with the old 29 again. Ive always had an affinity for single action revolvers, theyve been my backup or alternate guns to the 29. When I tore the ligament in my R thumb, it was a couple years before I could shoot anything centerfire right handed, and a single action was possible long before a double action was. Im still stuck on the larger caliber and heavier bullets when in large critter country, they dont even have to go at top speed to work fairly well and break large bones. They seem to kill other stuff reasonably well with good flat point bullets. It humbles one to shoot small game with the legendary cartridges and have said small game run off. RN bullet suck mightily for killing stuff compared to SWC or flat points, or full wadcuttters.
    Well why don't you post another pic of the m29. It might very well be the best looking gun on P-F

The rosewoods are temporarily on something else, I worked down some factory checkered targets that are on the 29 for the moment.

Name:  IMG_6406.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  76.3 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-23-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    Pro Biscuit

The rosewoods are temporarily on something else, I worked down some factory checkered targets that are on the 29 for the moment.

Malamute:

That is a spectacular revolver. I suspect there are some interesting stories to go along with the patina/finish wear. My son encouraged me to write up the histories of several of my guns. I'd love to read some of the stories surrounding your 29.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Man, what a beauty! Now that's character!

Cat

That's a beautiful revolver. I quoted you just to get another picture of it in the thread.

Site Supporter
    You guys are making me miss my 629. It was getting too much for my elbows though. At least I know it's in good hands. I still have my 625 and 25-5, both 4" barrels. The 25-5 is too pretty to be an outdoors gun, but the 625, with its stainless construction and hillary hole is perfect.

Chris

If we ever get pictures to head sections on this forum, this revolver is hands down the choice for the revolver section. It just makes me smile every time I look at it. This Model 29 and one of Malamute's old Model 94 Winchesters, are hands down the coolest guns to grace the pages of the forum.
    “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    You guys are making me miss my 629. It was getting too much for my elbows though. At least I know it's in good hands. I still have my 625 and 25-5, both 4" barrels. The 25-5 is too pretty to be an outdoors gun, but the 625, with its stainless construction and hillary hole is perfect.

Chris

You just needed the right ammo Friend!

A 175 grain wadcutter at 785 FPS turns .44s into kittens.

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If we ever get pictures to head sections on this forum, this revolver is hands down the choice for the revolver section. It just makes me smile every time I look at it. This Model 29 and one of Malamute's old Model 94 Winchesters, are hands down the coolest guns to grace the pages of the forum.
    I agree. That M29 is something.
    Go ahead and call the cops, you don't meet nice girls on traffic stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

This one?

Name:  IMG_1153.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1154.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  71.1 KB

May as well put the well known 29 pic up with the smooth rosewoods, my favorite N grip.

Name:  SW-29-holster.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  68.4 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-24-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Pro Biscuit

User Tag List