Page 50 of 120 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

You ever wanna sell that Redhawk, you just let me know...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

So, Saturday I went back out and fired a few 3 shot groups when I had a little more time:

This was the worst, at about 5-6"s:

A little better:

About average:

And the last was pretty good for me:

I ran out of what I had loaded, and need to order some more 300 grain XTPs.

One thing I noted that was very interesting. The long barreled Redhawk (I also have a 4.2" version) does not like my standard 10 grains Unique and 240 grain cast SWC load at long range. Accuracy was absolutely horrible. I think it is the only properly functioning .44 Magnum I have ever fired that does not shoot that load well. That said, the primary purpose for this Rehawk is heavy loads, and it shoots the 300 grain XTPs, loaded out to the second cannelure very well , so I am not complaining.

I will likely just shoot the 300 XTP load exclusively in the long Redhawk, and not worry about it.

Loaded with a typical heavy crimp too:

What are you using to crimp, @Lost-River?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-18-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I switched to a LEE roll crimp die.

At typical distances, say 50, 75, maybe a hundred you don't see that much difference, as compared to using a standard factory die. That said, when you shoot out to 350- 400 + yards you really see a very significant difference.

What was previously discovered was that everything else was being done properly, but I was seeing huge variances in my impacts. I would have 2 shots that were where they needed to be, and the next would be impacting 30+ yards low. A friend who is a very experienced handloader advised me that I did not have a sufficient crimp and to use LEE roll crimp dies. As soon as I switched, the consistency was immediately noticed at long range.

Apparently the heavier roll crimp allows the pressure to build more uniformly and the the downrange results bear out the theory. My friend was using his Freedom Arms .41 mag with his handloads and really dropping them right in on the 780 yard target at the cabin, while I spotted for him.

That reminds me, I need to get a taller front sight for my S&Ws, as the ones I have are not sufficiently tall enough for the proper hold over.

Cool. I didn't know you could get that heavy of a crimp from the Lee roll crimp die. I'm most worried about bullets backing out under recoil.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My go to big bore is a Smith Mountain gun that I've had since their introduction. My caliber of choice is the 45 Colt.
    Hand loaded to moderate pressures, this gun was as good as , if not more accurate than my Model 29.
    I've gotten rid of all the .44 mags, and this one is a keeper.
    I load Beartooth Bullets hard cast lead for it. It loves the 265 Keith, but shoots up to 325 grain as well.

My eyes were much better when I shot the this target, but the gun is more than capable.
    Name:  reload results 002.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  34.2 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

That kind of accuracy from a .45 Colt is hard to argue with. Big slugs, even at moderately sedate velocities seem to really put a wallop (technical term) on game.

Thanks.
    Those 265s run about 850fps.
    Hardcast and the large melplats do the job.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

@Lost River,

Do you put a heavy crimp on your standard load with unique? Or just for slower powders like 296/110?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Thanks.
    Those 265s run about 850fps.
    Hardcast and the large melplats do the job.
    There's lots to be said for lead moving at modest velocities.
    I have a slight bit of high frequency hearing loss - shooting related. Revolvers in 45 Colt & 44 Special have a big advantage as field guns if you need to use one in an emergency, & don't have time to put on hearing protection. Much less muzzle blast than the higher pressure rounds. Hearing loss is accumulative; once you lose some, it doesnt come back.

User Tag List